Help With Photoshop

tlc

Hi guys, this is probly a question that has been asked a lot, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me if Im doing this right. It is working but I am thinking maybe there is an easier or better way. To make your subject in a photo become the only thing in the photo, with the back ground totally changed to a different color, i am selecting the back ground using the magic wand, then just using the gradient tool Im changing the color of the back ground, ive put an example below. Can anyone tell me if Im doing it right?? Please.

Bronson1.jpg

TLC - hair can be sooooooo hard

There's a million different methods to isolate background and the best method depends entirely on the particular images.

If you want to email me the full size original, I'd be happy to have a look and tell you how I'd attack it. PM me for my email address.

One of the best resources for this sort of stuff is this book:

http://www.photoshopmasking.com/

Hi Luke, I was hoping you would come to the rescue.. :laugh: I dont think the pic of my boy was a good example and I know what you mean about tricky ones like with really rough edges, i will definatly have a look at the the book you recommended. Here is a better pic still done in the same way.

DSC_0067colorbackground2.jpg

I think this one looks ok and not rough around the edges like the puppy one. not sure my work buddies would like thier pics on here but its all in the name of art... :laugh: and it is going to be in the next edition of our magazine so everyone will see it anyway!!

Thanks again.

Just a little tip to make it even better...

When you've created your selection using the magic wand:

Select, modify, expand selection...try starting with 3 pixels (how much will depend on how big the image is and how good the original selection was).

Then

Select, modify, feather...try starting with the value using in the first step - 1..so in this case...feather by 2 pixels.

The feather amount should usually be 1 or 2 less than the expand selection amount.

This will minimise the outline you see.

Nice photo btw, happy people!

Edited by Luke W

Thanks Luke, Ill give it a go, I still have a couple of weeks of my course left and am learning more and more each time, Im reluctant to ask my teacher about specific picture making because the course is about making good photos and not so much the real funky stuff if you know what I mean. One lesson a lady asked him something about how to change the background and he got a bit cranky. Im hoping to do advanced photoshop next then ill be right but dol is a great place to learn things especailly with talented people like you to give great advice. At work I do our team member magazine and the three people in the pic did some poses for me to get the front cover, they are 3 of my best work buddys and absolute beautiful people, thats why I didnt think they would mind me posting the pics!! Thanks again.