Blood In Poo

My dog has blood in her poo. Can change of dry food do this? or worming?

She wont eat her mince but she will happily eat chicken. Other than that there really is nothing else that would tell me shes sick.

Having dogs is becoming a nightmare!!!

Edited by hamish-n-andy

Is she up to date with her vaccinations - it can be a sign of Parvo, (also has a smell you never forget).

yes she had her vaccinations about a month ago. she has no other signs of that.. she actually has no signs of anything, shes still happy, shes accepting treats and water. shes basically herself. there is really no other explanation. i have read one of the other threads on here that said the say thing happened and they found worms in the poo.

If it's worms (hookworm) you won't actually see the worm in the "poo". It's usually very dark and it can look almost like tar. Is the "poo" runny/slimy - sorry :rofl: - or normal? There are sooo many different reasons for blood in the poo (obstruction in the bowel - is she straining?).

If it was me and this has been going on all day I would have her at the vet first thing in the morning :champagne: or sooner if she deteriates. Sorry but it's just a guessing game trying to figure it out over the net.

PS As awful as it sounds the vet would appreciate a "sample" if you do decide to take her in.

Edited by gsdog2

It was only once in the morning. "It" was normal then went sort of runny slimey bright maroon and red. shes perfectly happy at the moment i dont see anything at all wrong with her. i didnt look to see if there was worms haha we was walking and she pooped on the side of the road. if she does it while we are walking tomorrow i will get her to the vet.

It was only once in the morning. "It" was normal then went sort of runny slimey bright maroon and red. shes perfectly happy at the moment i dont see anything at all wrong with her. i didnt look to see if there was worms haha we was walking and she pooped on the side of the road. if she does it while we are walking tomorrow i will get her to the vet.

If she's ok this morning I would worm her again in 2 weeks time :rolleyes:

If she's ok this morning I would worm her again in 2 weeks time :rolleyes:

She had no blood in her poo which is *good* but it was runny still *bad*. im not worried at the moment though because she has a very sensitive gut and i have been giving her all different minces to see what she likes. I'll just have to watch her.

Geez we all seem to be having a run of health issues with our furkids at the moment.

You need to get the dog to a Vet and get Vet to do a full check up and yes if you can take a Poop sample with you and ask for a faecal float and analysis to be done. The Vet will more than likely give you something like Peptosyl or Scourban and tell you to feed boiled chicken and rice for a few days and Nothing else . May give you electrolytes to out in the dog's water.

Here if runny poop has not resolved after 24hrs of Peptosyl and chicken and rice then it is off the the Vets. Dogs cannot tell us what is wrong so we have to do our best to get them Vet treatment when there is a health issue.