Diy - Hydrotherapy

Hi all - I have heard many benefits of hyrotherapy for knee and hip problems in dogs. Is this something that should be done by a professional or could I just put my dog in the pool (when its a bit warmer) and let him do a couple of laps?

I was thinking about getting him a life jacket (even though he is already pretty bouyant) to make it easier, even if it is just to start with.

Our pool is fiberglass and in the heat of summer gets quite warm and we have a pool blanket too so if we leave that on its really warm in there - would that be better than normal coolish pool temp?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

It might be worthwhile taking him to see an animal physio that uses hydrotherapy so that they can teach you what to do and devise a program. If you say from the outset that that is what you are there for, then they should understand that and not expect you to come back repeatedly. :scared:

My beach is quite shallow for a long way out and I walk out with Tealc until his feet are just touching the bottom of the ocean. We walk up and down the beach, in the water. He treads along the bottom of the ocean and then takes a little swim out deeper when he wants.

Saved me heaps of money with the hydrotherapy and it has worked wonders for him. The vet is very pleased with his muscle gain. (I'm also pleased with my toned bum! - nice side effect of walking in thigh height water!) lol :cool:

Thanks for that info - Soap is not too keen on going past his ankles at the beach! I have put him in the pool a couple of times to cool off - he doesnt love it but I think he will learn to tolerate it.

I have also heard that pools arent good for their coats - but when he comes out of the salt water pool his coat is fantastic.

It might be worthwhile taking him to see an animal physio that uses hydrotherapy so that they can teach you what to do and devise a program.

Great suggestion.

If you go to a professional hydo session you could also discuss if you should get a life jacket or not.

What are the problems your dog has? I have heard that dogs with patella problems should not swim as it places to much strain on them.