Perianal Fistulas Gsd - Any Advice Appreciated

gsds4me

Hi

My mentors 9 year old female longcoat gsd has been diagnosed with perianal fistula (anal furunculosis).

My friend has obtained several opinions - all suggest that surgery is not the preferred treatment option but advise that the dog be put on a drug called Atopica (which is very expensive).

We'd be keen to know if anyone has used this drug (with or without any success) or if anyone has heard of any other ideas re diet, homeopathic or alternative treatments that might help.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, I see no reply to date. My Belgian Shepherd (male 4.5 years old) has just been diagnosed with perianal fistulas. I am desperately trying to find people in Australia who have experience with this horrific condition. It is breaking my heart if I imagine how much pain he must be in. My boy was only diagnosed this week and so far he is on strong antibiotics Cephalexin and Ilium Cream to try and settle it down to a point where the Vet can actually touch it. The cream is not doing much - I have to apply it 3 times daily and I HATE it because every time I apply it, he crinches with the pain. I have done a little iinet research and find that there is very little information available. Aparently a drug called Cyclosporine used with Ketocanozole (Expensive I think) has given good results. Has anybody used this? This is truly an awful condition and any information will be valuable.

this sounds absolutely heartbreaking. My whippet Penny was diagnosed with anal furunculosis when she was a puppy, but if this is what it is then she was misdiagnosed, and it sounds like it was a good thing. She seemed to have an ulcerated patch on her anus which cleared up with anitbiots, and maybe cream, I cant remember now, but thankfully it wasn't an ongoing problem.

No one really knows the cause of perianal fistulas. We used to treat them surgically with mixed results and a horrific postoperative period. Since the discovery that cyclosporin and ketokonizole, more than 90% of dogs can be treated successfully. Cyclosporin is an immunosuppressant (which is quite expensive). The ketokonizole is an antifungal medication that is used only because it reduces the metabolism of the cyclosporin, allowing you to use a much lower dose. Most dogs only need to be treated for a few months with a pretty high success rate. You are usually looking at a couple of thousand dollars for the whole course (which is about as much as the surgery would cost) with higher success rate and much easier recovery. Hope this helps.

Charles

No one really knows the cause of perianal fistulas. We used to treat them surgically with mixed results and a horrific postoperative period. Since the discovery that cyclosporin and ketokonizole, more than 90% of dogs can be treated successfully. Cyclosporin is an immunosuppressant (which is quite expensive). The ketokonizole is an antifungal medication that is used only because it reduces the metabolism of the cyclosporin, allowing you to use a much lower dose. Most dogs only need to be treated for a few months with a pretty high success rate. You are usually looking at a couple of thousand dollars for the whole course (which is about as much as the surgery would cost) with higher success rate and much easier recovery. Hope this helps.

Charles

Yes it does Charles, thank you so much.