Not Sure Where To Start

Ok,

So I have a 4.5 month Westie, I have been working with Cruise for the show ring, which he has responded well too, and now would like to start working with him for obedience / agility for the future.

I dont know where to start.. I was in the pet shop and bought him a dumb bell, just to see how he responds to it.

Do I just start teaching him basic commands (sit / down / stay / heel?) I ultimately would like to do agility with him, but does he need any obedince certs to get into it?

I have tought my other dog these commands, and she has been a breeze to teach, but lacks focus when in a public area. I could never trust her off leash, where with him at 4.5months I can.

Should I try to find classes and go there, or is it possible to do at home

I started with books and DVDs. Then joined a school when Barkly hit 6mo.

I started with positive, food reward and clicker training.

I don't think you need obedience certs to start agility but your dog does need to be at least 12mo old (some schools say 18mo). Your dog will need to be reasonably focused and reliable off-lead.

Thanks

I know how to use a clicker and will start working with him until he is old enough to start participating.

Cruise is very focused on me, and completely reliable off lead..

Sarah

Don't expect it to last :cool:

He might go through some "stages" - :laugh:

A puppy should learn the basics while still with the breeder. Sit, stand, down, stay, roll over & come all with food lures & lots of praise. Find a good obedience club now & try & book in for next year, most will be finishing up now. They take them from 4 mths when they've finished their vaccinations.