Advice For New Puppy Owner Please

mplsv

Hi, we are collecting our new puppy on the 22nd and would appreciate some advice please because it has been several years since I have owned a dog and even longer since I had a puppy!

I plan to take pup to puppy preschool so know I will get lots of information and advice there but I wanted to give her a couple of weeks to settle in first.

I also want to be prepared and have everything ready BEFORE she comes home.

Can anyone recommend a link, topic or (easily available) book outlining the basics of what needs to be or should be done in the first few months of a dogs life? Eg worming / vaccination schedule, type of foods to be fed, suitable treats and toys etc.

It was only after we decided to take the pup that my brain just froze and I panicked thinking “what do I do, what do I do!” I almost feel like I did when I brought my firstborn home from hospital lol.

We are not complete newbies to animal care as we do have a cat which is fed good quality food, wormed, vaccinated and well cared for but we got him as an adult and missed all the very young animal stuff.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The puppy's breeder should provide information on diet, worming and vaccinations, and probably some other helpful information as well.

I think you should contact them for information.

Basics are

Bed

Grooming Items - depends on breed

Puppy Shampoo

Bowls - food and water (not plastic)

Collar and Lead

Flea & tick preparation (although this could wait until you get the pup)

Place to keep the pup at night - investigate crate training if you wish, I don't care for crates, but you will want to contain the pup somewhere at night.

Toys - soft fluffy ones, balls, squeaky toys - Latex is best. Rope chew toys

Take a soft toy with you when you collect the pup, rub it on the other pups and the mother, and take it home with you. It will retain the smell and the pup will be comforted by it (some breeders provide a soft toy with the pup - I do)

Food, when you find out what the pups has been eating at the breeders.

They are the absolute basics, you can add to them as you wish

there is also a book available at most large pet shops which sell books. "How to Raise and Train a XXXXXXX" (insert breed here) about $25. Provides really good basic information on having a pup. Also contains info on toilet training and basic training.

A book on the breed could be handy, depends on how much you want to spend.

Edited by Jed

Thanks Luke W that link was great. It was all very much simple common sense.

I think the author used repetition to teach us newbie puppy owners what he wants us to learn so I will have to write out each point for my son to learn as he would never get through that book lol.

I had already set up her "area" exactly as pictured in the book but realise I will have to buy more chew toys to fill with her food and ensure that ALL members of the family understand (and follow) the rules and what we are trying to accomplish.

Thank you also for the list Jed. I especially like the idea of taking a cuddle toy to get mum and siblings scent on it, I never would have thought of that.

I must admit though that pup is not a purebred so I cannot get a "how to train xxxx breed" book.

Hi and congrats on your new pup to be...

If its any advice I could give it would ony be a few things... dont spend a fortune on a new bed, pup will destroy two or three in the first year or so....

Have a water bottle and ticking clock for pup to settle in to new home without litter/mother....

Dont separarate your cat from the pup all together, let them interact as much as your cat is wanting to at cats own pace, we separated our and i wish we hadnt as its taken 18 months to get them to say hi to each other.....

Practice 'recalls or "come" as much as you can early on, you will be glad you did......

Enjoy and take heaps of photos as they grow up too fast! Also if you have more questions this forum is a great place to ask for all kinds of advice, I sure did :thumbsup: You dont need a breed book, just a general dog book with ideas for pup should do fine.

Best of luck and enjoy...

ooooh! I know xbreeds are an unspoken evil on this site hehe but what kind of puppy are you getting?? :thumbsup: Puppies of all sorts are just wonderful!

I agree with everything said :thumbsup: With recalls and "come", ensure that it is always obeyed.. even if this means practising on a leash and guiding the dog to yo after the command is given .. We learnt the hard way that if you give them the choice to come, sometimes they won't. Once they learn they don't have to, it's hard to fix. Particularly if they are quick on their feet and think you're playing chase with them when you go to get them and bring them back!!! :thumbsup: Typical Kelpie there.

As for things to do/get.. cannot recomment crate training highly enough..when done effectively of course :love:

Hi charli73, it sounds silly to say out loud but we have actually included our cat in preperations for pups arrival already. He helped set up the play pen and checked over (and approved) the new toys lol. We figured with pup having a playpen the cat can decide when and how much interaction he has with pup until he is more used to the idea of there being another animal in his domain.

Kelpie_pup I had to laugh with what you described with the recall / come training and antics. I have already lived through this experience with my 5yo autistic child. I'm starting to think training pup and child will be eerily similiar in many ways. Come to think of it I will be toilet training BOTH of them at the same time :thumbsup:

Pup's mother is believed to be a Maltese x Pom and father a Cav.

:thumbsup:

Hi charli73, it sounds silly to say out loud but we have actually included our cat in preperations for pups arrival already. He helped set up the play pen and checked over (and approved) the new toys lol. We figured with pup having a playpen the cat can decide when and how much interaction he has with pup until he is more used to the idea of there being another animal in his domain.

:rofl:

Hi! its not silly at all, your cat is a family member also and has to feel comfortable with the changes about to take place..

Our cat was very timid and hid at the other end of the house and came out periodically and we have a baby gate to separate them otherwise the cat wont come out... They are getting much better but If i could do it all again I would just let them be, no forced separation but allow the cat to have a safe place to retreat to and let them interact supervised of course.... remember to have them play together now before pup gets too big and scares the cat... at least now they are more equal in size ..... also use feliway to relax the cat if you have it (the pheremone spray that relaxes them)

good luck with it all...