Raw Food

Sankari

Can anyone tell me how much raw should a Golden Retriever have? I have slowly introduced a bit more raw each night as she had very bad reactions last year and havent fed any raw or bones since then until just last week.

She eats 2 cups of dry food currently and so far i have gotten her up to 150 grams of raw chicken mince. I intend to get her on more but what is the usual guide of exactly how much she will need? She is an active very healthy dog with no health problems.

My other Golden Retriever is arriving next week and wish for her to be on raw and dry food as well she is 2 yrs old and that i know of no problems with foods so far at the shelter. Should i slowly introduce to her like i have with Charlotte?

I have also tried a lamb shank with Charlotte, the marrow out of the bone gave her a bit of the runs but otherwise she was ok with it. Should i only feed the one type of meat or can i mix if they do ok on other meats as well?

I dont know much about raw feeding. Is there some links?

If you do a search on DOL for Barf, raw and prey, you will come up with a LOT of threads with some fantastic info. You'll be reading a long time :D

You need to work out if you want to feed barf (includes veges and fruit) or prey model diet (meat and bones) and then go from there.

Personally, I feed a prey model diet supplemented with dry. But then I add the odd egg, sardines, yoghurt etc as well as table scraps.

Sometimes it's trial and error. If your dogs looks a bit thin, feed more or looks a bit chubby, feed less. That's how I gauge how much to feed. I don't measure or weigh anything. :cheers:

yes, it is minced from carcasses.

So my golden's ideal weight should be around 28kg, i am no good at working out percentages is there something that can work it out for me?

The place that i get chicken from have heaps of different meats. I'm going back there again soon, so i can give all different meats at the same time and dont have to just feed the one type?

The percentages also depend on the activity level of your dog.

Our female eats between 2 and 3% daily. She weighs 17 kgs and eats between 430g and 520g depending on how she looks. She is incredibly lazy and walks for about 40 minutes daily but that is all she does.

Our male weighs about 15kg - is much more active - and eats about 760 - 880g per day.

They say you should be able to feel 6 ribs - anymore and they are too slim. Any less and they are too heavy.

It is trial and error but it is worth it. Be careful feeding dry with raw as it can upset the balance of barf feeding.

I'd do a little more reading first so you know what you're doing - mince alone for eg is not a balanced diet, even if it is minced chicken carcass.

I intend to leave her on the dry food as well as having some raw in the diet.

Tess32: Charlotte had very bad reactions to chicken wings last year and to marrow bones and she also reacted to lamb which is why i scrapped doing any raw at all. I am quite concerned as i have extremely slowly introduced the minced carcasses if she will do ok on non minced foods.

With Charlotte things need to be extremely slowly introduced to her. When changing dry food it has to be done over a 2 week period to not cause any stomach upsets.

I am trying to do research but one of the threads i went into the poster had edited everything and it was blank only with people's responses but dont know what the questions were.

I havent done a proper raw diet in such a long time i think i could do with trying to find some information with how to do it. Finding the information i need i am having trouble with. I have the book Raw Meaty bones but havent read it yet.