My Dog Won't Play Ball!

Ken-f

tkay, the 'correct' spot would be in the garden. Not directly on the lawn where we all walk. Anyway, in 2 days now I haven't found any on the lawn. I hope it stays that way. Shes a smart girl, I think she'll figure it out soon.

Shes getting really comfortable now, no need to entice her to come to the front garden. and also a lot less running away when we open the door.

I think giving the dog a chance would be a good start. ... balls arent the be all end to all dogs.She may prefer a fluffy Teddy

I agree with Settrlvr and others who have suggested to give your new dog a bit of time to settle in to her new environment and to build a bond with you. Could be that balls aren't her 'thing' .... time will tell.

One thing that can help is for you not to focus so much on your dog enjoying the ball game, but you simply enjoying the ball game yourself. I have found on numerous occasions that playing ball and pretending that it is not about the dog at all (but playing so that the dog has an opportunity to become interested and a chance to join in) is a good way to encourage this. Avoid making the game to loud/boisterous if she's a sensitive/timid dog. But make it appear you're having a really nice time. :)

If she's going to enjoy a game of ball at all, ever .... she'll come around.

Neither of my dogs liked balls much until they were about 18 months old and they met a friends whippet who loved to play ball. i was like all of a sudden a switch flicked

Anyone who has seen them with a ball now probably wouldnt believe they used to watch a thrown ball and look at me to say what do you want me to do with that

I just got my 6 month old border collie yesterday. Shes still getting used to our place, but at least she isn't so scared now.

A couple of things I did notice tho is that she is quite scared of using the lead and SHE WONT PLAY BALL!! The lead problem, I can understand, I don't think she was using the lead in the first 6 months with the previous owner, as it was and acreage. I managed to walk her around the yard a bit on the leash today. It'll take time.

My main question is...how do i make her play ball?? I can't take her for a walk unless shes on a leash...which means her main exercise would be from playing ball? I never really had to train my previous dog to play.

Hi ken f,

we got our 6 month rescue pup bout 6 weeks ago and after about 2 weeks, in hindsight, I realised how stressed she probably was with the move and all.

After 2 weeks we saw daily changes and grew to see her wonderful personality and she became more outgoing and trusting etc. As the stress of the new environment subsides she might be more responsive.

good luck :D

Just to let every one know. she is completely settled in now and is doing absolutely fine.

Night time, she always steals our shoes and keeps them with her. haha. I know its bad, but its cute too.

The other thing that might be a problem is when she gets excited....i.e everytime I play with her. She will keep jumping up and climb on me when i sit down. Again, its really cute, but it will most likely be a problem when she grows older. I don't mind it so much when I sit down, because I always give her belly rubs and cuddles etc etc, but when walking....for example, to the back of our yard, she will jump up. I've tried ignoring her, and I THINK that is working most of the time. But the first thing in the morning when I go out to feed her, there is no stopping her.