Cleaning Ears

Sashy has dirty ears. They're not too bad, not smelly or anything, but I would like to clean them. I bought an organic ear cleaner with no harsh chemicals etc. Not having attempted this before, I thought I would try to put some on a cotton ball and just clean the top parts a bit to get her used to it. As soon as she saw the bottle (OMG can she READ??) she was off like a shot. Wouldn't let me anywhere near her ears, and when I finally caught up with her she let me know in no uncertain terms that she would put up with alot of things, but would not negotiate on this... no ear cleaning allowed! You would think I had acid on the cotton ball the way she carried on LOL

So, anyone have any ideas that I can use to try and coax Sash into letting me clean out her grubby ears?

I've managed the nail trims and filing (barely)... but the ear cleaning has me stumped. She'd never even SEEN the bottle before (I just got it out of the delivery box)....

ETA: she has no issues with her ears or touching/playing/inspecting them at any other time - just at ear cleaning time. Could it be the citrus type smell?

Edited by Kelly_Louise

If she doesn't like that means keep going. Easier said than done lol

She will get used to it though.

Does she have a favourite treat she just LOVES. BBQ chicken, cheese, sausage etc?

Try slowly giving her this then start rubbing (with no cotton balls or wipes etc) your hands around ears. Be sure to imitate what you would do when cleaning ears. Remember one step at a time.

Then when she is comfortable with that. It could take a day or a week who knows, get the treat out again and introduce the cleanser. I would not let her see you get it ready though.

Just my basic 2 cents worth.

I clean my cockers ears every week and the little madam HATES it!!!! Runs under the bed as soon as I get the bottle out.

No matter what I do she still hates her ears cleaned but I have found that if I put her on a table and place a bit of peanut butter on the table to keep her occupied then she is a little happier.

Unfortunatey for her she will have to endure this for the rest of her life as she is a cocker with long ears. Poor baby

Good idea, thanks rovaround.

I've actually tried imitating, and she has no issues with you doing it - although in saying that I haven't really tried treats etc. I didn't actually expect her to have an issue with it. Not sure if it's the slight citrus smell, or the coolness of the liquid on her ears that she isn't used to. Not sure.

I guess it's just down to patience, and as you said, rewarding.

She can be a real stubborn bugger when she doesn't want to do something though. God love her, I wouldn't have it any other way though... makes life a challenge LOL!!

Thanks Claireybell - looks like distraction with treats is the way to go. She's not greatly food motivated, but I'm sure some cheese will keep her occupied. Alternatively, duck poo or cat poo are also her favourites LOL!!

The only thing is - table is out... I wouldn't have a chance in hell of lifting her up - the beefy 40kg girl she is!! She seems to find the garage quite soothing though - that's where we do the other grooming like nails etc and she tolerates better in there.

I'm still sure she can either read the bottle, or can smell it coming a mile off...

Try wetting a cotton ball with the ear cleaner wet enough that it'll dribble into the ear canal rather than squirting drops in.

Good point Tiggy, I haven't tried squirting the liquid in yet, but if she doesn't like a small dabble on a cotton ball she is never going to let me just drop it in. I'll give that a shot too, if I can hold her down long enough to get near her ear.

I thought I had earned most of her trust after a couple of months, but seems not enough for this ear cleaning business :(

Her ears aren't totally folded over like a cocker etc, and she airs them out alot :( but I can see the start of wax in there (the dirt seems to come and go)... Would I still need to do them every week, or can I just torture her once a month? I've had her for 3 months now, hasn't been done and they aren't too bad.... Have no idea when/if she's ever had it done before.

Try wetting a cotton ball with the ear cleaner wet enough that it'll dribble into the ear canal rather than squirting drops in.

Good point Tiggy, I haven't tried squirting the liquid in yet, but if she doesn't like a small dabble on a cotton ball she is never going to let me just drop it in. I'll give that a shot too, if I can hold her down long enough to get near her ear.

I thought I had earned most of her trust after a couple of months, but seems not enough for this ear cleaning business :(

Her ears aren't totally folded over like a cocker etc, and she airs them out alot :( but I can see the start of wax in there (the dirt seems to come and go)... Would I still need to do them every week, or can I just torture her once a month? I've had her for 3 months now, hasn't been done and they aren't too bad.... Have no idea when/if she's ever had it done before.

BTW - there's something to be said for 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Yeah mine can smell it. Once I've got the bottle out it takes roughly 3 hours for Jesie to come out from under the bed!

Duck or Cat poo! Mmmmmm yum! I must admit Jesie doesn't mind a bit of duck poo to roll around in or eat.

Wow, that's dedication to hide for 3 hours LOL. Sasha just runs and runs. When I do manage to get her to stop, she will keep pushing my hands away and pull her head and shake it, generally throw a tanty.

I buy the best of food, almost sends me broke... which she will turn her nose up at usually, but will happily scoff poo from any other animal, or any scraps/rubbish etc that we come across on our walks - if I'm not fast enough to spot and avoid (SOMETIMES if she knows she's in trouble she will drop it). Totally embarassing people must think I don't feed her and she's a garbage dog!!!

Aren't dogs incredibly perceptive. She's read from your body language that something baaad is about to happen :(

You could try this...taking it very, very slowly...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE

Yes I have thought that maybe she's sensed it. When I 'imitate' and play with her ears we are both usually relaxed etc. So, you're probably spot on Luke.

I have thought that maybe she is fine to continue how she is, but they are just getting grubby and I don't want any infections. I've not had a dog with folded down ears before (only ACD's who rarely needed ear cleaning and never seemed to get grotty ears). I just assumed I SHOULD be doing it.

But I will persist with all the ideas given. thank you I think if I follow the treats, application technique and perhaps a relaxed atmosphere maybe just play with her ears first instead of trying to jump right in. Oh, and perhaps having OH on hand, a two person job should get us somewhere LOL.

Can't help.

My dogs love having their ears cleaned.

I only clean the ears if they are dirty in the canal and I use water or baby wipes.

I haven't had to clean them for months 'cause they usually clean each others ears :( . Dogs are gross :(

Can't help.

I only clean the ears if they are dirty in the canal and I use water or baby wipes.

I haven't had to clean them for months 'cause they usually clean each others ears ;) . Dogs are gross :(

Lucky you!!!

Perhaps I'll borrow one of the dogs next door, she might let one of them clean them out :(

Can't help.

I haven't had to clean them for months 'cause they usually clean each others ears :( . Dogs are gross :(

Jesie's ears have been really good lately and I'm pretty sure its due to the fact Jodie likes to lick Jesie's ears clean! It's really disgusting! ;)

Edited by claireybell

Yeah mine can smell it. Once I've got the bottle out it takes roughly 3 hours for Jesie to come out from under the bed!

Duck or Cat poo! Mmmmmm yum! I must admit Jesie doesn't mind a bit of duck poo to roll around in or eat.

Wow, that's dedication to hide for 3 hours LOL. Sasha just runs and runs. When I do manage to get her to stop, she will keep pushing my hands away and pull her head and shake it, generally throw a tanty.

I buy the best of food, almost sends me broke... which she will turn her nose up at usually, but will happily scoff poo from any other animal, or any scraps/rubbish etc that we come across on our walks - if I'm not fast enough to spot and avoid (SOMETIMES if she knows she's in trouble she will drop it). Totally embarassing people must think I don't feed her and she's a garbage dog!!!

Yeah she's a bugger! She's also really stuboorn! Just like her mummy!!!!!