Trainers Experienced With Deaf Dogs?

Kirty

I am looking for a trainer that is experienced in training deaf dogs. We have just acquired a deaf puppy and I want to make sure I do everything right. If anyone can recommend a trainer in Melbourne that would be fantastic!!

We have trained a few :laugh: I find that their other senses are often heightened to compensate in part for not hearing. What breed is the pup? I had a deaf lab in a puppy school a few months ago- the first deaf lab i have seen.

I have been giving a referal to a lady who does private home visits, so I'm getting her out on Thursday. We are going to do an intensive course where she'll show me how to get started, and we'll go from there. :laugh:

Edited by Kirty

I breed Labs. A pup I bred went deaf. He went through obedience training without having anyone notice the problem. Just picked up on the ques. You may not need any particular support other than a trainer who uses hand signals as well as voice. Depends on what you're after for results. The big problem with deaf dogs is that they 'loose contact' when they don't see you . . . so off line may be a problem. It may be helpful to find a 'hearing ear' companion to provide your deaf pup with canine guidance in situations where auditory information is important.

I saw a deaf dog being trained on "Barking Mad" once. They used big, exaggerated hand (arm) signals and an e-collar that only vibrates for when he wasn't looking at them. The dog was so deleriously happy that he could suddenly understand what people were saying to him that he followed all directions with gusto. It was very heart-warming.