Doorbell Training?

Mini_M

Has anyone successfully trained their puppy to ring a doorbell to be let out for toilet? We found a good wireless doorbell with a nice big switch for his little paw to press.

We are starting to give it a go, problem is whenever the pup sees the doorbell button on the floor he grabs it in his teeth and runs off with it, ringing like crazy. Funny to watch but not too helpful.

Our breeder suggests this can be done, has anyone tried it and can give any tips?

thanks

I have not tried it with my dogs- I am silly enough to get up a thousand times a day when they feel like going outside!!

My vet tells me that she has trained her beagle to ring a bell when he wants to go out- not an electronic doorbell but one of the old fashioned bells- it is apparently hanging by a rope/string next to her back door. Thinks its the greatest thing ever- it did however take her dog 3 months to get the hang of it :thumbsup:

Good luck with it!

Yup, here's Jedi at 13 weeks old (still learning at the time of the video).

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjW8Neb-2c

He also taught our new puppy to ring the bell when she arrived!!!!! :thumbsup:

Tips -

* The easiest way we found to train it was to teach nose target (or paw target) and then apply it to the bell. Until they had learned that, I would ring the bell for them so they associate going outside with the bell. Once they know how to target, get them to touch the bell themselves, then let them out. Soon enough the dog will do it on their own.

* If the dog is ringing it constantly 'for fun', MAKE the dog go outside when it rings the bell. Jedi soon learned that ring bell = go outside, whether you wanted to or not!

* Some people complain that the dog asks to go outside even though it doesn't want to toilet. This wasn't a problem for us as we are happy for him to ask to go in/out.

* You can have a bell inside and outside, so they can ask to come in as well.

* Some people are worried about the dog ringing it when they are not around, but this only applies if the dog is left unsupervised in the house. Jedi has learned to hold on until we can get downstairs to let him out. He knows that ringing the bell doesn't get us running to the door, but that we will let him out as soon as we are able.

Good luck!