Cataracts

Vet for diagnosis and advice pertaining to treatment options first.

As an aside to the above (but not as a substitute) I read about some eye drops that are used on dogs with cataracts with some good success. I might be wrong as it was quite a long time ago I read about it and my memory is a bit hazy as I haven't revisited the subject, but I think the drops were originally designed for use on humans but were found to be more successful on dogs than they were on humans.

Edited by Erny

My old corgi Penny has cataracts. No vet she's been to has ever mentioned possible treatments. She is 13 and has been going blind for about the last 3 years. She can't see very well now, but she's not blind. She has trouble close up and far away but she gets around fine and doesn't act blind. It's been very gradual, which has given her a chance to adapt.

Corvus :

My old corgi Penny has cataracts. No vet she's been to has ever mentioned possible treatments. She is 13 and has been going blind for about the last 3 years. She can't see very well now, but she's not blind.

I googled "canine cataracts drops" and many links came up on it. Below is one of them (I haven't read it through). Might be worth looking into it more indepth and perhaps raising the topic with your Vet?

Dog Cataracts - Canine Cataract Eye Drops

Like human cateracts they can also surgically remove canine ones.

The price is about $2,500 per eye to remove the cataracted lens and replace it with an artificial lens to restore clear vision. Unlike human cataracts though, it's not covered by Medicare. A cost saving option is to do only one eye as being able to see out of even just one good eye is a vast improvement in quality of life compared to being totally blind in both.