Video Camera - Newbie

noisymina

A friend wants some videos taken and I've said I am game to give it a go, am willing to learn etc.

Never touched a video camera in my life! :laugh:

Can someone direct me to any good links etc to give me a start on the basics of using a video camera, please? :)

... Can someone direct me to any good links etc to give me a start on the basics .../quote]

For basics a book is probably better - Borders had some that seemed okay. Full of useful tips like always use a tripod where possible (agree here, nothing more sea-sick making than hand-held home videos) and don't get carried away zooming in and out for effect, or on long slow-motion pieces. But not too long on one view: about seven to twelve seconds enough or it gets 'boring', change zoom or aspect (you can do this in edit).

Can you borrow friend's camera and a tripod with a video head for some practice before you do the serious stuff?

The real trick is in the editing: you need special software, reasonable computer power, and a lot of time to spend learning how to edit well, again without overdoing the effects of a hundred different gimmicky fades and so on.

Thanks.

Yep - the arms got VERY tired after a while. No tripod.

I found the fence very helpful, tho. :mad

You are certainly right about the focus - I think they will get a bit sea sick watching it. :birthday:

Fortunately, I just have to hold and shoot - they get to edit later.

I have yet to hear feedback on the first attempt. But I think it will be better next time. :confused:

It was a case of hold and shoot for long periods. Horses just will not muck up until you turn it off. They must know, the buggers. :(