Feeding Meat

To chew, or not to chew...  

88 members have voted

1. 1. You feed fresh raw meat because....

• It's what they should be eating
    • It's good for them
    • They like it
    • I was told to
  2. 2. You feed it attached to bones because...

• It's easier
    • I think it's good for their teeth
    • It keeps them occupied, as well as being a meal
    • They LOVE chewing bones
    • They get calcium and other minerals from bones
    • eating bone helps with number and consistency of droppings
    • Meat on the bone is an excellent way to strengthen puppy jaws.
    • Sorry- I feed meat minced/chopped
  3. 3. You feed meat minced/chopped up because...

• It's easier
    • That's how it's packaged
    • It's quicker- they can be fed faster
    • The one I feed has bone minced up in it as well, so it's good!
    • I don't like handling bones/meat chunks.
    • Bones are a worry- they may splinter or damage teeth.
    • Feeding bones causes constipation.
    • Mince is easier to mix with other foods
    • I'm not sure...
    • I have a puppy- puppies can't chew bones
    • With multiple dogs, there may be fights
    • oops! I feed it on the bone :)
    • My dog needs to have meat minced due to health problems.

I also want to feed my puppy some raw meat, he's been having some chicken wings/necks and VIP gourmet as per breeder's recommendation.

Could I simply give him some raw human-grade meat from the supermarket like beef? or lamp? or roo?

raw meaty bones contain a lot of nutrients and trace elements that plain meat doesnt. feeding dogs just meat-no bones isnt normally the way to go. feeding them plain raw meat occasionally is fine. and yeah raw human grade meat is fine. try also feeding it in lumps, rather that chopping it up small-it helps to exercise their teeth and jaws, and encourages them to chew their food

chicken necks and wings are really good for puppies, as the bones are small and soft. and they get the benfits of both meat and bone in the one meal.

depending on how big your pup is, you can also feed lamb offcuts [from the butchers or the pet food fridges at some supermarkets]-try getting rib sections and small pieces, although most of the time there isnt much choice.

I feed bones, chicken frames, wings, turkey necks and lamb shanks, not at the same time :confused: also I feed mince meat with veges. So it is a combination really.

I feed tha same as you do but I also feed EP

I forgot to mention that!! I feed EP - a handful in the morning each - apart from all the raw food which some may say contradicts the philosophy of feeding raw because dry food is cooked but i find that their condition is better when I add this in. They both have really shiny coats and beautiful sparkly teeth and most of all - they look happy and fit! I also find with RAw feeding, they don't need to eat much and they pooh much much less - food is more easily digested, meaning there's less for me to clean up every few days!! woohoo!

I feed bones, chicken frames, wings, turkey necks and lamb shanks, not at the same time :confused: also I feed mince meat with veges. So it is a combination really.

I feed tha same as you do but I also feed EP

I forgot to mention that!! I feed EP - a handful in the morning each - apart from all the raw food which some may say contradicts the philosophy of feeding raw because dry food is cooked but i find that their condition is better when I add this in. They both have really shiny coats and beautiful sparkly teeth and most of all - they look happy and fit! I also find with RAw feeding, they don't need to eat much and they pooh much much less - food is more easily digested, meaning there's less for me to clean up every few days!! woohoo!

What is EP ?

I strive to follow the 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% offal formula each week.

So, Bean generally gets two days of meat (no bone), followed by a day with a meaty bone.

A common menu would be:

Monday: Chunk of beef steak, one raw egg in shell

Tuesday: Half an ox tongue, one chicken liver

Wednesday: Lamb shank, one kidney

Thursday: Roo chunks, one raw egg in shell

Friday: Section of ox tongue, one lamb heart

Saturday: Chicken frame, lamb brain

Sunday: Salmon head, one raw egg in shell

In a perfect world I would be able to source whole prey - like a rabbit, lamb or chicken - with all organs still inside. There'd be no worrying about the 80/10/10 ratio then, as it's already a perfectly balanced meal just as nature intended. :confused:

raw meaty bones contain a lot of nutrients and trace elements that plain meat doesnt. feeding dogs just meat-no bones isnt normally the way to go. feeding them plain raw meat occasionally is fine. and yeah raw human grade meat is fine. try also feeding it in lumps, rather that chopping it up small-it helps to exercise their teeth and jaws, and encourages them to chew their food

chicken necks and wings are really good for puppies, as the bones are small and soft. and they get the benfits of both meat and bone in the one meal.

depending on how big your pup is, you can also feed lamb offcuts [from the butchers or the pet food fridges at some supermarkets]-try getting rib sections and small pieces, although most of the time there isnt much choice.

Cheers, thanks for the info.

What about fish ? will they benefit from some fish oil ?

generally they do benefit from fish oil, ive been too lazy to give any to mine. from what i remember fish oil can give them the runs so start off with small amount mixed in with their food.

raw fish is also good for them