Hunting And Field Trials

//// oceanaussi

Nice to see you are still around. I havent seen a post from you for ages and that was when you were starting to show your dog. How has the show ring been going?

There are lots of Lab people in your area that do obedience and trialling so look some of them up on DOL and contact a couple of them.

Hi mercedes! Of course I'm still around, just been busy I suppose.

Yes I've been showing Quentin and he did well. He won Puppy in Breed at the Brisbane Royal and Puppy in Show at the Gundog Specialty! :champagne: In between he won and lost - the usual. I still don't really enjoy showing but well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

We've done heaps of work in regards to search & rescue, retrieving and tracking which we both enjoy a lot! I'm not keen on obedience and neither is Quen so we give that a miss.

I also started to hunt and am training Quen to come hunting with me, that's why I'm looking for some people who do the proper hunting field trials. Here in QLD hunting is extremly regulated and therefore difficult. I know in NZ they have proper hunting tests and I'm thinking of taking Quen over there to participate. I'm learning via the internet with the German Wei owners and there's one guy in my retrieving group who goes hunting but so far without his pup. I'm looking for people who do hunting with theri dogs so I can learn.

Cheers!

Yes that was one of the postives about moving from our old home to Albury, we are closer to the border and there are more trials in Vic than in NSW. We are members of field and game so we also love to shoot over our dogs. Personally, although we show our dogs it is not a priority for us, we are more interested in whether or not our dogs are well tempered and able to work as they are meant to.

Is there anyone here who takes theri Gundog to hunting and field trials?

Oceanaussi,

What bred for gundog do you have? Having a new computer whose graphics are not 100% yet, I cannot see your avatar.

My husband is the hunter in the family, and I train and compete in retrieving trials.

Field trials do not interest me as the two I attended the handlers walked for hours and at one competition no game was found, even though I have a gun license. I am a very poor shot.

You may like to visit the Australian Working Retriever site, which also includes a field section.

Thanks for the replies. There don't seem to be too many people who hunt with their dogs. :rofl:

I have a 1-year-old Weimaraner. We're training in tracking and retrieving but also go hunting - so far only rabbits and foxes. I don't think I can shoot well enough for a bird, so I like to stick to things on the ground.

I've forgotten the Working Retriever website - will have a look there.

The reason I'm asking is

a) I'm going to get a trained Weimaraner bitch from Germany in a could of years, so I need to know what I'm doing by then and also would like Quentin to be on a similar standard.

b) I've heard that there're proper deer hunting trials in NZ and was thinking to participate on one there and am looking for people who might have experience with that.

Thank you!

Thanks for the replies. There don't seem to be too many people who hunt with their dogs. :thumbsup:

I have a 1-year-old Weimaraner. We're training in tracking and retrieving but also go hunting - so far only rabbits and foxes. I don't think I can shoot well enough for a bird, so I like to stick to things on the ground.

I've forgotten the Working Retriever website - will have a look there.

The reason I'm asking is

a) I'm going to get a trained Weimaraner bitch from Germany in a could of years, so I need to know what I'm doing by then and also would like Quentin to be on a similar standard.

b) I've heard that there're proper deer hunting trials in NZ and was thinking to participate on one there and am looking for people who might have experience with that.

Thank you!

Heard through friends who import, breed, trial and (show) compete their Weimaraners, that great care needs to be taken regarding purchasing from Germany. Is there any truth in temperament/aggression problems?

No idea on deer hunting in NZ. I should imagine they do, NZ is awesome for bird hunting ----and fishing.

LL, I would be interested in the comment of your friends regarding a Weimaraner from Germany. I don't know what the issues were or where they've got theirs from, but maybe you could PM me details? Oviously it's a German Breed and the German Weimaraner Club takes great care of breeding for temperament, hunting ability and conformation. German Weimaraners have to go thru strict tests to be allowed to be breed. I have never heard of an aggression problem (with the exception of wrong ownership) BUT German Weimaraners have a much higher protection drive than the Australian one I know (=Mannschaerfe). It's a trait of the breed which I haven't observed over here which personally sadens me. But of course you need to know how to handle this trait, this is why in Germany it's very difficult to get a Weimaraner.

Weibritty, would be great if you could PM me the deatils! :thumbsup: I'm keen to learn!