20 Week Old Puppy Has Mucous In His Stools.

Red Fox

My 20 week old puppy has had loose stools since yesterday afternoon. Not watery but very soft :thumbsup:

He is otherwise fine, bright and active, clear eyes, always hungry :banghead: I've put him on boiled chicken and rice for the day and he had a slightly firmer poo after lunch but I noticed that there was some mucous covering it :thumbsup:

I have contacted the vet today and she asked a few questions and said probably nothing serious, just keep an eye on him and ring again tomorrow if no improvement.

Puppy is wormed and vaccinated, there is no blood in the stools and no vomitting.

I am racking my brain to work out what has caused this. Vet think it could be the heat (but he is an inside dog) Only thing I can come up with is that I gave him a different brand of cottage cheese in his breakfast yesterday.

Any suggestions to what it could be??

Ive seen it in pups quite a bit.. There has never been anything to worry about in my cases.

How close have you looked at the stool? Gross i know,but pups have a habit of eating things they are not supposed to. I have noted that the body will try to cover odd items with mucus,perhaps to help the "delivery".

Ive seen it in pups quite a bit.. There has never been anything to worry about in my cases.

How close have you looked at the stool? Gross i know,but pups have a habit of eating things they are not supposed to. I have noted that the body will try to cover odd items with mucus,perhaps to help the "delivery".

Thanks, I really dont think it's anything too serious either. I do pick through his poop when it is a bit odd looking (with the popper scooper, not my fingers :banghead: ) The mucous was kind of covering the stool like egg white and I could slide it around *eww!* Nothing else unusual in it.

I do worry though as I am feeding raw 60% / dry 40% (sometimes more raw depending on the day) and there is always some nut on the internet who is saying that raw bones cause bowel probs. (I don't buy it but they make me paranoid!! :thumbsup: )

My border collie sometimes have that but we found out that if she had something fatty would cause it so we have to be careful with mince and some bones etc. When we talked to our vet she said her border collie does that as well just had to be careful with what food and that is common with border collies

Mucous in the stools generally just means there has been some irritation to the colon. A little bit of blood can sometimes be present with mucous too. Withholding a meal or two will give the colon a chance to heal and the inflammation to go down. You could also feed a bland meal of boiled breast chicken for a day or two as well.

OK, well yesterday I cooked up some boiled chicken and rice mixed with some natural yogurt and fed for both lunch and dinner (brekkie this morning was soaked oats with yogurt) and today we have

:):(:thumbsup: SOLID POOP :( :p :rofl:

Hopefully I haven't spoken to soon but I'm just so happy not to have to scape that sloppy mess up of the lawn :laugh:

Mucous in the stools generally just means there has been some irritation to the colon. A little bit of blood can sometimes be present with mucous too. Withholding a meal or two will give the colon a chance to heal and the inflammation to go down. You could also feed a bland meal of boiled breast chicken for a day or two as well.

Thanks stormy, no blood but still had me worried since the only other time we have had mucous was after an anaesthetic. Did the chicken and rice thing.. with-holding food was the next step, but thankfully as you would have seen in the above post the problem seems to have 'passed' for now :thumbsup: