Bald, Scaley Patch On Back

megan_

Hi Fellow DOL'ers,

My 1 yr old mini schnauzer x mini poodle has developed a small (1x2cm) bald patch on his back (middle). It is also "scaley" and has lots of flakes. I noticed the flakes a few days ago, but only noticed the patch tonight.

He is fed a RAW diet, but over the last few weeks I have occasionally given him EP Holistic. His treats are all natural (happy paws), but he does occasionally get the treats from the bouncy buddy bone (he has had these for months though with no problems). I occasionally give him a pig's ear as a special treat.

Any ideas on what it could be and how I could get rid of it? Could it be mange (my fear!).

Thanks,

Megan

Doesn't sound like mange !! Can you post a pic ?

Could be a hot spot ?

My camera isn't working at the moment. Do hot spots normally show on the back though?

They sure do ... the hot spots I have seen have all been on the dogs back ... without seeing it its a bit hard to say what it is though.

Try doing a search on DOL for hotspots cos I'm sure there has been a few topics on them :cry:

'hotspots' as I know them are usually weepy and inflamed.

Dry crusty/scaly 'circular' spots could be from an abrasion. could be ringworm... could be lots of things.

When in doubt, betadine!! :laugh:

thanks - it is definitely dry and scaley - like dandruff. Should I give him an extra dose of Drontal (he is due in 2 months time)?

Drontal?

Drontal will not help with a skin problem :laugh:

the name 'ringworm'.. is confusing, as the cause is actually a fungus, like tinea.. contagious, and treatable.

Any bare spots on our dogs .. and it's betadine first up!! Betadine kills bacteria and fungi.. so is a handy stop gap measure.

if you are concerned, of course.. see a vet.. who may take a skin scraping to test for parasites etc.

IF you are going to go to a vet.. do NOT apply anything to the spot-as this will make diagnosis harder.

Drontal?

Drontal will not help with a skin problem :laugh:

the name 'ringworm'.. is confusing, as the cause is actually a fungus, like tinea.. contagious, and treatable.

Any bare spots on our dogs .. and it's betadine first up!! Betadine kills bacteria and fungi.. so is a handy stop gap measure.

if you are concerned, of course.. see a vet.. who may take a skin scraping to test for parasites etc.

IF you are going to go to a vet.. do NOT apply anything to the spot-as this will make diagnosis harder.

thanks - just googled it after m post. Seems about right. I'll tr the betadine first and then take the vet route later if necessary. Approx how many days should it take for the betadine to work its trick?

repeat. :rofl:

I am not going to suggest a time frame for a 'cure'.. it is all dependent on many things :laugh: Betadine IS anti-fungal/anti-bacterial... so will help.