Shoelaces And Socks

APBT

my pup wont touch my shoelaces or socks but for some reason she take a fancy to my brothers, she will grab hold while he is trying to walk around the house ect,

ive got him to say no firmly and with me the NO command work effectively but she take no interest when he says it. ( and im not always around)

any suggestion on what to do, it is not a big problem but just a habit i would like to train out.

another thing, when visitors come over my girl has no problem but she does get pretty excited and she mouths our guest hands, she is not doing it to attack at all but just very excited, anyone have this problem or idea to train it out?

thanks in advance

I'd guess that your little darling has very little respect for your brother and sees him as a play mate. This is something we're enduring at the moment too. My pup won't bite my legs but he loves my OH as if he were a tasty bone!

Your brother will just need to continue to be firm. It should get better with persistence.

Good luck.

I'm not big on 'squirting' pups (or dogs for that matter) for so many little things.

When my boy was in his early weeks he was really BIG on chewing shoelaces. Seemed to me that all I ever did was clean up pee and poo and tie my shoe laces :D. I sprayed my shoelaces with a commercial product made for 'chewers'. It was a natural based substance. Forget what it's called (and being lazy by not getting up to go look for it, not sure where it is as I haven't used it for months) but it was something along the lines of "bitter lime" or some such. You do need to keep 'reloading' BEFORE the taste wears off, as pup will come back for another try thinking the bad taste might have been a 'one-off' thing.

Let me know if you need me to, and I'll look up the name of it if I can. It worked pretty well on a number of things (eg. the beginnings of chewing his outdoor wooden kennel) and I think will with most pups so long as you're onto it quickly.

If my shoes weren't being worn, I made sure pup simply couldn't get to them so he's not developed the habit of that. He can see them though. I still tend to have a barrier to stop him getting to that corner of the wardrobe, but I have had the barrier down and he's paid no interest. He's 8 months old now.

Edited by Erny