Theiving Staffie

My partner has created a little bit of a attention seeker whom when he doesn't get enough attention he steals the pillows from the couch and runs off with them. If we don't go after him, he might on occassion bring it back. But when we do try to retrive the pillow it turns into a game to him. I try to ask him to come to me and start some stand/stay training. This doesn't always work. I have also tried to work with him with the items he loves to run off with in front of him and say NO when he nears the items. Should he pick them up l tap his neck until he releases then praise him when he drops it and leaves it in front of him. (I learnt this from a trainer that came to our place). But the problem generally is when he grabs and runs.... Other than putting the pillows away (out of reach) which defeats having pillows, nothing has really works completely. My pillows are looking a little sorry for themselves. Any ideas??

Random ramblings...

You have to be very thoughtful about what you are rewarding, what is self-rewarding for the dog and how to counter the undesired behavior.

Does you dog understand 'off' or 'leave it'?

If your dog considers you trying to get the item a game, you simply can't continue to try get the item the way you currently do. Ever.

Remove the game nature from the dog. Let him have it. When he gets bored with it, take it back - no fuss, a sharp 'ahh' and take the item away - if he still thinks it's fun - change your approach. Walk sternly, don't creep, gruff voice.

Try to prevent the dog from getting the item. Keep the item out of reach when you can't supervise.

When you can supervise, try "leave it" (assuming the dog knows what it means) before he actually manages to get the item. Reward if he doesn't get the item.

Even a sharp "ahh" as he starts to go for the item, then a 'good boy' when he turns to see what the fuss was about.

Try to avoid rewarding him for giving the item back - you may inadvertantly teach a chained behavior sequence...get item, return item, reward.

Random ramblings...

You have to be very thoughtful about what you are rewarding, what is self-rewarding for the dog and how to counter the undesired behavior.

Does you dog understand 'off' or 'leave it'?

If your dog considers you trying to get the item a game, you simply can't continue to try get the item the way you currently do. Ever.

Remove the game nature from the dog. Let him have it. When he gets bored with it, take it back - no fuss, a sharp 'ahh' and take the item away - if he still thinks it's fun - change your approach. Walk sternly, don't creep, gruff voice.

Try to prevent the dog from getting the item. Keep the item out of reach when you can't supervise.

When you can supervise, try "leave it" (assuming the dog knows what it means) before he actually manages to get the item. Reward if he doesn't get the item.

Even a sharp "ahh" as he starts to go for the item, then a 'good boy' when he turns to see what the fuss was about.

Try to avoid rewarding him for giving the item back - you may inadvertantly teach a chained behavior sequence...get item, return item, reward.

Thanks Luke. Consistency is our problem. I cringed when you said "let him have it"... I understand, but gee thats gonna be hard. Especially when he manages to get items that are even what l think are out of his reach. His pillow pinching has turned into grabbing the foxtel remote and killing it!!! Argh :laugh::( He even got my pursue the other week and there was no way l could have let hm keep that, too much trouble if he killed any cards or licences. My OHs brother was over last weekend and my boy managed to get the hidden remote from behind him. Obviously my OH's brother wasn't paying attention to him otherwise he should have been able to stop it. He is one switched on dog and knows whats going on and where things are even when were not aware.

I try to be consistent when lm stern with him, but he makes it hard to get to him as he hides under the bed. But yes l agree totally he thinks its game hence why he continues to do this behaviour.. He is like a miner bird, grabs anything he get his little mouth on.

Some options are to control him when in the lounge room, do not allow acess to the lounge.

Your right its a big game to him and your going to have to stop playing.Its learnt behaviour and even though you cease the play, he will not immeditately do so.

If he do's manage to grab a pillow, I would use something that he has more of an attraction to as a distraction to the pillow.

With dogs its always best not to start unwanted behaviours in the first place.

I would use two balls to teach him the meaning of out,so if he do's grab something getting release is easy.

How old is your staffie?

I know this is not one of your options but with a young, hyper pup in the house I did remove all the cushions from the lounge room and closed all the bedroom doors. Even ignoring pup and letting him have the cushion/pillow can be self-rewarding. As Zig matured, the cushions slowly returned and the doors have opened - he doesn't even look sideways at them now....he's too tired from all the training we do every day anyway :thumbsup:

Consistency is the key!

But yep, it can be damn hard.

I guess when you absolutely have to get something from him, you have to make it as unlike a game as you can. Walk purposely, but not to quickly, and not stalking. Reach without snatching.

Oh, I nearly forgot, when he does have something, you can try to get him to swap it for one of his chew toys (that should be lying on the floor).

My dog went through a phase of chewing stuff. It started at about 8 weeks and went until, um, still going.

He destroyed my Mastercard last week.

He likes eating sponges out of the kitchen sink

He's a pup right?

To finish on a good note...

It should get better :thumbsup:

ETA: Agree with both the posts above!

Sometimes it's just easier to manage the environment (put the cushions away for year or so :)). I have a baby gate across my bedroom door :wave:

Edited by Luke W

How old is your staffie?

I know this is not one of your options but with a young, hyper pup in the house I did remove all the cushions from the lounge room and closed all the bedroom doors. Even ignoring pup and letting him have the cushion/pillow can be self-rewarding. As Zig matured, the cushions slowly returned and the doors have opened - he doesn't even look sideways at them now....he's too tired from all the training we do every day anyway :thumbsup:

My boy just turned 1 last week and he is entire as we show him and will soon have him available for breeding. He is hyper too not just due to his age. His mum is hypo so runs in the family l suppose. We close the doors to rooms we dont want him in. However our bedroom door doesnt cach properly so he can bump it open. (we should fix the door). We swim him as its great to build his muscle whilst low impact on his joint etc. But even after a swim he has energy. I know it will improve with age but l'd love to nip it in the butt a bit quicker.

Consistency is the key!

But yep, it can be damn hard.

I guess when you absolutely have to get something from him, you have to make it as unlike a game as you can. Walk purposely, but not to quickly, and not stalking. Reach without snatching.

Oh, I nearly forgot, when he does have something, you can try to get him to swap it for one of his chew toys (that should be lying on the floor).

My dog went through a phase of chewing stuff. It started at about 8 weeks and went until, um, still going.

He destroyed my Mastercard last week.

He likes eating sponges out of the kitchen sink

He's a pup right?

To finish on a good note...

It should get better ;)

ETA: Agree with both the posts above!

Sometimes it's just easier to manage the environment (put the cushions away for year or so :(). I have a baby gate across my bedroom door :(

Ive tried swapping for his toys, but he seems to sense that what he has is more exciting/important than his chew toys (kongs).

I wouldnt mind my boy to chew a credit card, it would help me to not use it... :):(

We do manage the environment, but he is really good at finding that one thing we haven't removed or put at a height he cant reach. :thumbsup::wave: I might put the pillows away for awhile. Perhaps some more work on release and leave it might improve this. His level at the moment is a bit patchy. So if l can get it more tuned maybe this will have an impact on his snatch and grab routine... Perhaps l can hire him out to messy people. They would quickly learn to tidy up after themselves..... :D :p

Some options are to control him when in the lounge room, do not allow acess to the lounge.

Your right its a big game to him and your going to have to stop playing.Its learnt behaviour and even though you cease the play, he will not immeditately do so.

If he do's manage to grab a pillow, I would use something that he has more of an attraction to as a distraction to the pillow.

With dogs its always best not to start unwanted behaviours in the first place.

I would use two balls to teach him the meaning of out,so if he do's grab something getting release is easy.

Thanks Tonymc. When he is really naughty, we put him on the lead, but it gets a bit hard to do this the entire time..... Puppies, god love them. They do keep you on your toes. I might teach him to drop things when he has them in his mouth. I have taught him to release his chew toys when we are playing. But l think dropping when l'm not touching them will help heaps.

Is he crate trained?

I would be mad if i didnt have my bully crate trained, he is worse then what you have said about your staffy, and he is 6 this year!! I love my crate!

Thankfully, my staffy is very well behaved, she is 4 next month, and only chewed a phone and a remote control

Is he crate trained?

I would be mad if i didnt have my bully crate trained, he is worse then what you have said about your staffy, and he is 6 this year!! I love my crate!

Thankfully, my staffy is very well behaved, she is 4 next month, and only chewed a phone and a remote control

He is crate trained and we have it set up in the lounge room. But l cant have him in it all the time as l feel bad. But very handy when he's being extremly cheeky.

My staffyx went through a phase of stealing and chewing when she was a pup. With our 2 kids she had plenty of good chewy toys to choose from! Even when we were home she would sneak into the kids room (if accidentally left open) and look for a toy to kill.

We did lots of NO's , "ah ah"ing and making sure she was outside with a bone/kong if we couldnt keep an eye on her for even 5 minutes. She eventually got over it and now never steals things when we are at home- even if she gets excited.

However she is NEVER allowed inside when we aren't home- I thought she had grown out of chewing completely, trusted her and came home to a chewed aerial cable.

Nice secure kennel and yard outside for when she is alone. Not so pretty out there now though.

Just stay on him, he will improve if you stick to the advice on here. :thumbsup:

My staffyx went through a phase of stealing and chewing when she was a pup. With our 2 kids she had plenty of good chewy toys to choose from! Even when we were home she would sneak into the kids room (if accidentally left open) and look for a toy to kill.

We did lots of NO's , "ah ah"ing and making sure she was outside with a bone/kong if we couldnt keep an eye on her for even 5 minutes. She eventually got over it and now never steals things when we are at home- even if she gets excited.

However she is NEVER allowed inside when we aren't home- I thought she had grown out of chewing completely, trusted her and came home to a chewed aerial cable.

Nice secure kennel and yard outside for when she is alone. Not so pretty out there now though.

Just stay on him, he will improve if you stick to the advice on here. :D

I agree. And its great to others experience and feedback. Luckily he is very cute when he does it otherwise it would be really frustrating. Over the last few days l have now been able to get him to stand whilst l approach to retrieve what ever he has. Woo hoo..... :D :) But my OH isn't so disciplined. God love him (my OH) he does try but i think he thinks he is more our boys friend than his owner. Im the one that schools him, feeds him, shows him etc. Gee is this something that he will exhib if/when we have 2 legged kids.... Me the disciplining one and him the fun and games one... :):happydance:

He he he.

At least your dog is only stealing the cushions.

I've just remembered one of my first posts on DOL- Something along the lines of "Help, my dog just ate the COUCH!!" :D Bloody little pain in the butt she was (IS!).

Ah yes- we do need a "how to train the OH" discussion board on here... :laugh:

He he he.

At least your dog is only stealing the cushions.

I've just remembered one of my first posts on DOL- Something along the lines of "Help, my dog just ate the COUCH!!" ;) Bloody little pain in the butt she was (IS!).

Ah yes- we do need a "how to train the OH" discussion board on here... :)

Exactly.... A how to train the OH so he doesnt notice he is being trained.... :):o either that or a free to a good home.... :rofl::rofl: