Size/type Of Crate Used For Crate Training

macaroni

Hey guys and gals,

I'm planning to get a Labrador pup soon and I need some advice on the type and size of crate that should be used to crate train him. I found two types of crates on ebay, one is a metal cage (collapsible) and the other is a soft travel kennel.

- metal cage - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SMALL-24-Collapsibl...%3A1|240%3A1318

- soft one - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Portable-pet-dog-ca...1742.m153.l1262

Which one is better for crate training and is the small size good enough? I heard that you shouldn't give it too much room because it might decide to sleep on one half of the crate and wee on the other?

I'm leaning more towards the soft crate because I could use it to take the pup to vet and parks while it's still small.

Thanks in advance

Macca

We bought out crate from a labrador breeder and she uses the 36" size for all her dogs. I'd say that he would grow out of a 24" fairly quickly and you would probably get better value by buying a bigger one with a divider so that the crate can grow with him.

The advice I got when looking for crates was the soft crates are great for older dogs and puppies who are toilet trained but metal crates are easier to clean. Remember that there will be times when your puppy will dirty his crate and the trays in hard crates are easy to remove and disinfect if need be. A soft crate will need to be wiped and/or hosed out.

I should add that the crate we bought is not big enough for our dog as an adult and we will be needing to buy a 48" very soon. The reason we got the smaller size to begin with was because it a very good quality 2nd hand crate and we got it for next to nothing. So if you could source a cheap 2nd hand one for the time being thats a good option too.

Hi, we use one of those carrier types as a crate, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dog-Crate-Internati...A1%7C240%3A1318

It has worked well for us, and you could use it to take your puppy to the vet or car trips etc, although if you decide to buy one which is big enough for a full grown labrador I doubt you'd be wanting to lug it around everywhere!

The only problem with this type of crate is i think if it's a hot night, they get hot in there, as there isn't as much air flow as the metal wire type crates.

As secretKei said, perhaps you could try get a cheap second hand smaller crate while your puppy is still small, then buy a big one later? Or else you'd need to section it off until he grows into it!

Good luck with your puppy! :love:

We have used two types at different times. I personally don't like the wire cages.. don't like the look of them and they don't look very comfy etc.

The first one we bought, similar to the airline crate was just perfect for us. Our one had little holes all over it so ventilation wasn't a problem and its quite cold where we live so we weren't worried about the heat. It does also have a cage-like door so it can't really be that hot in there!

post-23560-1235631579_thumb.jpg

This lasted Halle until she was almost 5 months old. We then bought this one below on Ebay. By this time, she was toilet trained and her being in a larger crate wasn't an issue.

post-23560-1235631601_thumb.jpg

IMO, the larger soft crate would be too big for a little Labrador puppy while you are still toilet training. The only need to be able to stand up and turn around, and lie down comfortably, not play chasies with a ball ! :love: Yes, if it is too big, they certainly can use one end for bedding and the other for toileting.

We sold our smaller plastic crate on ebay for only $10- it was in SUCH good condition, but you could really pick up a good one on Ebay, like our buyer did! We also bought our soft crate on ebay, which was brand new, but it really was worth every cent. She sleeps in it every night and often takes herself in there during they day when she wants a nap.

We have a soft crate and its all we have used since Mort was 8 weeks old - he is now almost 8 months old - he is a GSP and a chewer and scratcher - hasn't put a single puncture or dent into his soft crate .... also never soiled in the crate either - I guess that's the idea of crate training, they don't like to toilet where they sleep so it helps with toilet training .....

You can buy the biger sized crate and just put an insert into it - we had a piece of MDF cut to the same kind of shape and put it half way down the crate - as Mort grew we moved the MDF backwards to make more room... easy peasy and no need to buy multiple crates

Also really like the soft crates as they are easy to dismantle and carry ... v easy to put back up again as well ....

This is the seller and crate that we bought ....K9 Royale

Edited by FionaC

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was thinking maybe getting the small one for toilet training and after he's toilet trained and has grown too big for it, I can sell it. How long does it usually take to toilet train the dog? I could just buy a normal soft bed for him after he's toilet trained right?

I was thinking maybe getting the small one for toilet training and after he's toilet trained and has grown too big for it, I can sell it. How long does it usually take to toilet train the dog? I could just buy a normal soft bed for him after he's toilet trained right?

Toilet training times depend on the dog, but mostly on how you, as the owner, get the message across. There is lots of advice re toilet training on this forum, and consistency is the key. For every

wee or poo they do outside, the clearer the message gets through, as you have gained yet another chance to praise-praise-praise. Night time can be tiring, I think our dog was lasting from 10pm

till 6am from around 16 weeks. It feels like ages at the time, but if you spend the time getting the right message across, it should help.

It's very hard to give an exact time ... Like vjb said, it varies with each dog.

For us, Halle didn't make a mistake inside after she was 5 months, and that was her first and only one anyway. It is very much about being vigilent with your puppy and knowing the signs, and also being consistent and LOTS of praise :rolleyes:

If you're happy with your dog having free reign of the house/area/room during the night then getting a soft bed for them is fine. We would prefer Halle to be contained and comfortable in her crate rather than having entire freedom of the living room. It's up to you and whether you feel you can trust him :laugh:

With our Lab puppy we had the metal one, it was great, easy to clean and I set it up right next to my bed. By 5 months or so it was getting too small so we now have the 48inch one and that fits him great and gives him plenty of room to stretch out on his back etc. He trained really well at night, we can't fault him there within a few days of having him he would go from around 11pm - 6am.

For us and our puppy I highly doubt a soft crate would have lasted more than a few days, he is a nightmare chewer..even ate his Hound House he had outside. He would eat all his bedding so now has none but he doesn't care.

Hmmm, I might just get the metal crate.

Zebette, what size crate did you get when he was a pup?

Kelpie_pup, If I do get him a soft bed later on, I will probably keep it in the laundry or queensland room so that he doesn't mess up the house at night.

I use an airline style crate.

I'm always slightly bemused by those that have blankets in their crates. Barkly just chucks his blankets out of the crate and sleeps on the plastic floor. The best he'll do is scrunch his blankets up to the front of the crate and use them as pillows for his head.I gave up on blankets.

Edited by Luke W