Timid.

Tilba's behaviour is starting to concern me a little. She's mostly outgoing with ppl, wanting to jump on everyone she meets. This morning in the vet's parking lot she went over to a man wagging her tail & was about to jump on him. He said hello to me so I was going to let him pat her. When he bent over to do so she started barking at him.

While waiting in the waiting room she was happy & friendly to ppl there & after they left she noticed the empty cat cage & started staring at the hammock at the top of the cage & backing away from it. Then she noticed a large photo of a missing dog & started doing the same thing.

When we finally got in to see the vet she went up to him, put her paws on his waist for a pat, wagging her tail. I explained why we were there & he went to look her over & she backed away & wouldn't go anywhere near him. So I had to put her on the table for the exam, which she was fine with.

There have been a few instances at home when friends have been over, men, that she's been wary of & not wanted to go near.

How can I gain her confidence back?

It's possible that she doesn't like people bending over her and finds this intimidating and she's barking in a hope to move him away, same with the vet if the vet was bending over her or in close proximity. Sounds like a fear reaction to something new in the waiting room as well. I think you really need to get someone in who can assess her and give you some help so you have some exercises to follow through when you see this reaction starting and so she doesn't become even more reactive if left untreated.

ETA: The jumping on people could also be an effort on her part to move people away from her - out of her space. It's not always a clamour for attention.

Edited by Jigsaw

Thanks Jigsaw. On another forum someone also suggested not getting her spayed until its sorted, do you know what they possibly meant. She's booked in for this Monday.

With regard to not speying her until "its sorted" I think the person may have been suggesting that if she is developing a fear of being at the vet's possibly undergoing surgery may compound any fear that's developing. If possible if you have any concerns ring your vet beforehand or reschedule it so you can talk about your concerns. This is where an assessment by a behaviourist may be invaluable as you may be able to define whether it is a specific place or men or movement of people or a combination of all of them that is affecting her.

Thanks Jigsaw. On another forum someone also suggested not getting her spayed until its sorted, do you know what they possibly meant. She's booked in for this Monday.

Maybe the sudden drop in her sex hormones that will occur when she is desexed ..... at certain times this can lead to the dog becoming a bit irritable or fearful, more than normal. Maybe they are concerned that on top of the fact that she's exhibiting this behaviour anyway, will impact?

How old is she and has she had a season? If so, how long ago?

How old is Tilba? I am guessing somewhere between 6 qnd 10 months from the description of her behaviour. I have had several Borders go through the same thing as puppies over the years and it just seems to be a phase they go through for a month or so. I call it the spooks and have had dogs spook at garbage bins, letter boxes and especially large toy or model animals. The one thing that seems to get all of mine at some point is our family crest on the wall that is the size of a persons face. It has been there for years but as each dog has grown up they will suddenly notice it one day and start to bark in fear backing up away from it. After one fright from it they ignore it for the rest of their lives.

The best course of action is to laugh at them and tell them not to be so stupid. Remember the dog will pick up any anxiety that you feel. If you can take whatever they are afraid of down for them to sniff or let them approach the scary object with you they will creep up on it, give it a sniff and then usually act the fool as if to say "oh silly me, it is nothing to worry about".

With people it is usually something unusual about them like a hat, glasses a beard or even a scent that the dog reacts to. If possible get the person they are frightened of to squat down and call the dog to them rather than lean over to pat the dog. This usually works as the dog can approach the person on their own terms rather than have a stranger tower over them. Have a few strangers do this and the problem will go away.

At the vets some dogs hate to be on the table and others feel safer on there. I currently have one of each. Borders like routine and this gives them security so if they are used to being on tables all the time at shows they usually like to be up on the vets table. If they are really only on a table to get groomed and have their nails done they are not as keen and sometimes prefer the vet to look at them on the ground. Go with whatever works for your dog.

Tilba is obviously going through a fearful stage and may become more frightened of the vet because of it. If this does happen, take her for lots of follow up visits to just say hello until she gets over it. If possible try to be there when she comes out of the anaesthetic to re-assure her unless you are the type to faint or get stressed in the surgery area . Many vets won't let you do this but I am lucky that my vet lets me stay while they operate so that I am there the whole time. As I am only 10 minutes from the vet I take my dogs home as soon as they awake and watch them myself.

Tilba's behaviour is starting to concern me a little. She's mostly outgoing with ppl, wanting to jump on everyone she meets. This morning in the vet's parking lot she went over to a man wagging her tail & was about to jump on him. He said hello to me so I was going to let him pat her. When he bent over to do so she started barking at him.

While waiting in the waiting room she was happy & friendly to ppl there & after they left she noticed the empty cat cage & started staring at the hammock at the top of the cage & backing away from it. Then she noticed a large photo of a missing dog & started doing the same thing.

When we finally got in to see the vet she went up to him, put her paws on his waist for a pat, wagging her tail. I explained why we were there & he went to look her over & she backed away & wouldn't go anywhere near him. So I had to put her on the table for the exam, which she was fine with.

There have been a few instances at home when friends have been over, men, that she's been wary of & not wanted to go near.

Maybe the sudden drop in her sex hormones that will occur when she is desexed ..... at certain times this can lead to the dog becoming a bit irritable or fearful, more than normal. Maybe they are concerned that on top of the fact that she's exhibiting this behaviour anyway, will impact?

How old is she and has she had a season? If so, how long ago?

Tilba turned 14 m/o on Thursday. She started her 1st season 3 days b4 10 m/o. I was thinking this morning that it may be a fear period. Yesterday at obedience training there were no dramas. Only a couple of men around but they weren't really near us.

I'll ask about being there after she has the op & see if they'll let me see her while she wakes up.

My last border April was a bit fear aggressive & I don't want Tilba to be the same way. She has had a much better start & temperament than April had, so don't want to mess this up.

How old is Tilba? I am guessing somewhere between 6 and 10 months from the description of her behaviour. I have had several Borders go through the same thing as puppies over the years and it just seems to be a phase they go through for a month or so. I call it the spooks and have had dogs spook at garbage bins, letter boxes and especially large toy or model animals. The one thing that seems to get all of mine at some point is our family crest on the wall that is the size of a persons face. It has been there for years but as each dog has grown up they will suddenly notice it one day and start to bark in fear backing up away from it. After one fright from it they ignore it for the rest of their lives.

The best course of action is to laugh at them and tell them not to be so stupid. Remember the dog will pick up any anxiety that you feel. If you can take whatever they are afraid of down for them to sniff or let them approach the scary object with you they will creep up on it, give it a sniff and then usually act the fool as if to say "oh silly me, it is nothing to worry about".

With people it is usually something unusual about them like a hat, glasses a beard or even a scent that the dog reacts to. If possible get the person they are frightened of to squat down and call the dog to them rather than lean over to pat the dog. This usually works as the dog can approach the person on their own terms rather than have a stranger tower over them. Have a few strangers do this and the problem will go away.

At the vets some dogs hate to be on the table and others feel safer on there. I currently have one of each. Borders like routine and this gives them security so if they are used to being on tables all the time at shows they usually like to be up on the vets table. If they are really only on a table to get groomed and have their nails done they are not as keen and sometimes prefer the vet to look at them on the ground. Go with whatever works for your dog.

Tilba is obviously going through a fearful stage and may become more frightened of the vet because of it. If this does happen, take her for lots of follow up visits to just say hello until she gets over it. If possible try to be there when she comes out of the anaesthetic to re-assure her unless you are the type to faint or get stressed in the surgery area . Many vets won't let you do this but I am lucky that my vet lets me stay while they operate so that I am there the whole time. As I am only 10 minutes from the vet I take my dogs home as soon as they awake and watch them myself.

When she barked at the man we both laughed & we walked past him into the waiting. I'm guessing I pulled the lead a little to get her past. When she was backing away from the cat cage & picture I talked to her saying what they were & nothing to be worried about.

A mth or so ago oh told me she was worried about something & he realised it was one of the garbage bins in the driveway. Not somewhere it usually is.

STITCH - She goes to jump on everyone we pass, at shows, obedience club, in the street. I usually pull her away & say no jumping. Dog ppl usually don't mind but you don't know with strangers. She looks friendly & gets excited when she see most ppl.

Edited by luvsdogs

On another forum someone also suggested not getting her spayed until its sorted, do you know what they possibly meant. She's booked in for this Monday.

I asked the person & she said that seeing what other posters had said not to worry about not getting her spayed as the others seemed to think it was a behaviour problem that could be settled after the spay.