Puppy Jumping Onto Bed

Hi All,

I would like to get some tips on teaching my pup to only get up onto our bed on command.

She could never do it last time but now being bigger and stronger, she can jump onto our bed pretty easily. I don't mind her sleeping on our bed but I would like her to only come up when she is invited because I don't want to get a shock having a 15kg creature jumping up on me when I am having a nap.

She is reluctant to get out of the bed as well, unless there is treat or toy.

So any tips on training her to get up/down on command will be greatly appreciated.

Ta!

No bed-training tips from me :laugh:... dogs aren't allowed on human's beds here.

The only thing I can think of...is when you see her jump up on anything...say "up" or "jump" or whatever.

When she gets down.. say "down" or "off"... so she may associate the words with the action.

Otherwise.. keep your door closed... or keep her on a leash when you are doing stuff around the house...

I'm sure others will be able to help.

Edited by persephone

Persephone has some good points. Does she sleep in your bedroom? Have you got a "no" or "uh uh" command for when she does something you don't want her to do? You could try making her sit and wait for you to give the command "up" so she doesn't invite herself up. Are you able to hold her collar to help her move off the bed? You could still use a biscuit or treat but reward only when she's off the bed instead of luring her with the biscuit - because she might have learnt that if she doesn't move off the bed you'll produce a biscuit! :laugh:

We've blocked off access to bedrooms with a baby gate partly because we didn't want our pup all over the house when toilet training and also because our cat needed somewhere safe to go. But if she does manage to escape through we can guarantee that she is on our bed with a big grin on her face, saying "look at me"!!

She doesn't sleep on our bed at night, she sleeps in her crate and she is fine, she will sleep through the night.

It is the time when we are in our room, reading, watching tv, getting dressed (when nobody is in the living area), she will come into the room, hop onto the bed and lie there watching us.

Or in the morning when I am getting ready for work, she will again hop onto our bed and zzzzzzzzzzzzz till she has to move to the laundry.

i just want to teach her to only hop onto our bed when I give the 'OK' to do so. because if i am having a nap in the afternoon, there is no way she will stay in her crate quietly, somehow she is only willing to sleep in there (locked) when it is night time.

somehow she is only willing to sleep in there (locked) when it is night time.

:laugh:

sorry... she doesn't 'have' to be willing at first!

YOU pay the bills, and YOU make the house rules!

If the Princess makes her OWN rules... you will be forever trying to keep up :laugh:

If you need her crated when you have a nap.... fine- she gets crated.

She throws a tantrum?

tough!

When she is crated.. and ONLY then... she gets something very special/delicious.

A peanut butter Kong.... or a frozen turkey wing....

and she is toileted beforehand...

and she is put in without any "sorries" or "poor pups".. or "it's Ok... we're still here...

:(

Crating, and being asked to be alone is an everyday fact...treat it as such.She WILL throw a tantie.... but she will get over it.

What you said is true..

Ok, i jsut have to be tougher ..

I had no problem teaching her to sleep in her crate at night, i think i justh ave to use the same technique again..

but still i will like her to know only to get up to the bed when I say 'OK'