New Puppy!

Gabriel Feng

Hey, here's the situation. I have a 3 yr old malt. X Lhasa Apso(Bailey). And just got a Westie pup(Cotton). They were introduced at a neutral location, first reaction from the pup was her tail was between her legs, and Bailey was slightly afraid (hiding behind someone's leg). After they were brought home the pup was a much more active even with Bailey around, in fact being the pup that she is she was trying to play with Bailey chasing her and stuff. But Bailey would just try and keep her distance and when being chased she'll run away, she's not really hiding but just watching from a distance. Can anyone help with this? And also another thing. Which would be better putting out the pup's food 3 times a day or leaving it out the whole day for her to eat when she wants? I did the 3 times a day thing with Bailey, if i remember correctly someone said that they are more likely to overeat when it is left out...... but for the biscuits that we bought for the pup it says the opposite that they're LESS likely to over eat. Thanks!

Hey, here's the situation. I have a 3 yr old malt. X Lhasa Apso(Bailey). And just got a Westie pup(Cotton). They were introduced at a neutral location, first reaction from the pup was her tail was between her legs, and Bailey was slightly afraid (hiding behind someone's leg). After they were brought home the pup was a much more active even with Bailey around, in fact being the pup that she is she was trying to play with Bailey chasing her and stuff. But Bailey would just try and keep her distance and when being chased she'll run away, she's not really hiding but just watching from a distance. Can anyone help with this? And also another thing. Which would be better putting out the pup's food 3 times a day or leaving it out the whole day for her to eat when she wants? I did the 3 times a day thing with Bailey, if i remember correctly someone said that they are more likely to overeat when it is left out...... but for the biscuits that we bought for the pup it says the opposite that they're LESS likely to over eat. Thanks!

Hey Gabriel,

Cute names.

I am just going through this with my two poodles. I have a 4 year old dog who is on the timid side and he cowered and ran away when the pup chased him. He had his nose out of joint for a couple of weeks but they are getting better every day. Everything I read said that in this situation it improves with time which is hard to believe when they seem like they are not getting along but its true.

There were lots of days where I questioned if I had done the right thing getting another pup but we are 2.5 months down the track and they play together all the time and the older dog even lets the pup lie near him. In the first week the only time when they got on reasonably o.k was when I took them next door to my neighbours yard. They seemed to forget their rivalry and played happily. Perhaps it was the neutral territory thing again.

I did a lot of research and these are the things I did to help with the transition:

* I greet and feed the older dog first (confirms his position in the pack)

* I feed them separated so neither feels their food is threatened.

* I Give the older dog time without the pup getting in his face all the time. (I put the pup in an enclosure and took the older dog for long walks so he could see that the pups arrival doesnt mean the end to the good life he had)

* Allow the two of them to sort out their issues. Only intervene if you are really worried about them getting hurt. I was paranoid at first and didnt even want the older dog to growl at the pup but the more Ive backed off the better. The only thing I had to watch was when the older dog got a bit rough in play. It was just the difference in size that hurt the pup sometimes so I monitored their play and intervened if things got too rough. The pup needs to know you will protect it but as dogs they need to sort some things out for themselves. My two still have spits and spats but a lot of it is the older dog teaching the pup manners and she has learnt pretty quickly.

Other people have also suggested tiring the pup out by playing with it outside before putting them together so that the pup is not so hyper and they are meeting with more even energy.

A big thing I learnt from a trainer obedience school is to not pander to the older dog. He would sook and paw at me when the pup was around and because I felt bad I would go and pat him, basically rewarding his timidity. This seemed to make the older dog feel like his was competing with the pup for my affections and so he sooked more and disliked the pup more. When he does this I get up and walk away and pat him on my terms. He seems far less threatened these days.

As for the food I fed the pup 3 times a day. I also made sure the older dog got something too but took it out of his daily portion as we are trying to watch his weight :) If I leave biscuits out the pup would keep eating until they are gone wheras the older dog stops when he is full. Perhaps they learn better self-control as they get older?? Pups just want to eat everything anyway which could be boredom rather than hunger so Id be more inclined to feed them their portions and play with them in between.

I also asked about this scenario on allexperts.com and they gave me heaps of good tips. If you go to "dog questions" the answer I got and the responses to other peoples similar questions are there.

Hang in there! :o

If the pup is old enough, start to take them for walks together.

This is an excellent way for them to start to bond especially if the walk is structured and the dogs are controlled by making them walk beside you instead of running out in front.

thanks for the advice guys, bailey's getting a little better in regards to the new pup, as in she'll sometimes sniff cotton when cotton goes to her although she doesn't stay very long and she won't go to cotton if she can help it. Now another thing is that cotton has no preference to where she drinks her water. i.e Bailey's water bowl. I've seen Bailey go to her own water bowl sniff it and walk away, i think she only drinks from her bowl when i sorta hand feed the water bowl to her. Anyone know what i can do? Also any other westie owners out there, when did you take your pup off the dry food and onto the homecooked recipes?

thanks for the advice guys, bailey's getting a little better in regards to the new pup, as in she'll sometimes sniff cotton when cotton goes to her although she doesn't stay very long and she won't go to cotton if she can help it. Now another thing is that cotton has no preference to where she drinks her water. i.e Bailey's water bowl. I've seen Bailey go to her own water bowl sniff it and walk away, i think she only drinks from her bowl when i sorta hand feed the water bowl to her. Anyone know what i can do? Also any other westie owners out there, when did you take your pup off the dry food and onto the homecooked recipes?

Hi Gabriel,

I have a new puppy who has come into my home with a 12 yr old Tibbie who had a companion until the last 6 months and I was confident he would be happy with a puppy. So he could remain top dog.

The first week was the hardest, but I agree you have to let the two dogs sort it out together in the own doggie language. The less I interfered (which was not at all after the first day or so) the quicker they learn to live together.

I gave the older one the same attention as in the past, but our new puppy Robby obviously demands extra work and play. If it became obvious Daniel had enough playing only then do I give Robby toys and play with him. After the first week they got on well together. IMHO don't change the way you interact with the older dog, and let the two of them sort out their own personalities and level of play together.

RE: food and water. I feed them both 3 times a day and (reduced portion so same amount each day for the older dog). I take the food outside for Robby (puppy) so that he can wee and poo afterwards. Daniel gets fed inside out of site of Robby, so he can have his peace with his food and then go out when finished. As far as water I have numerous bowls around the house and let them sort out their own favourite place to drink from. Although my two don't have a problem sharing water cushions etc. Sometimes I think they check out the water after the other has drunk because of smell or something. Like just checking up. If your older dog is not dehydrated maybe don't try to make him drink from you. If you are worried about dehydration, syringe (no needle tip) water or electrolyte into their mouths (like giving medicine to a child). They get the message and start to drink more themselves.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Give them time and they will bond. Do not fuss over their behaviour.

Bailey will drink when he/she needs to so do not make a fuss over water bowls either.

Cotton should be fed three times a day and if she hasn't finished her food within ten minutes take it away till the next meal. Do not let her graze through the day.

If you are wanting to feed fresh food it should not be cooked. It should be mainly made up of raw meaty bones. Do some research on BARF, Raw & Prey Mode feeding.

Another update/ question. They seem to be getting on alot better although Bailey gets pretty annoyed when Cotton tries to play with her toys. They chase each other alittle sometimes, most of the time it ends up with Cotton submitting and just lying down infront of Bailey and not moving. Only thing is that once she does that Bailey would bark at her, i'm not sure if shes just saying "don't stop play some more" or what. The problem is when this happens at night it might annoy the neighbours and the high pitched barking is ear piercing, should i cut in and stop Bailey or just let her wear herself out? If i do cut in how should i go about doing it? She also barks when Cotton crawls onto my lap, i understand this is her being protective, how should i correct this? Thanks for the help guys.

• 5 months later...

Hi. I have two Westies. They're just the best and I love how they play. From the time I brought each of them home I gave them a mixture of raw and some science diet. If I am being a little lazy, sometimes I give them canned dog food mixed with tuna and a little cheese. If you are going to change Cotton's diet, just do it gradually so as not to upset the tummy.

Just a heads up, Westies, in my experience, are very strong willed stubborn dogs so any unwanted behaviour (even though it is adoreable) should be corrected. I learnt that lesson myself with my first girl! Goodluck