Vitamins

Jessm

We get so much sunshine here so is cod liver oil really necessary? I would think that a fish oil might be better. It is best to speak to a nutritionist about such things as you need to consider the weight and diet of the dog. I would think that over-supplementation is not all that great.

I read somewhere that too much cod liver oil can result in a build up of Vitamin A which can be toxic. I agree that fish oil would be much better for the omegas.

I'm not sure whose advising you but I haven't heard of specific vitamins being given to dogs. I would think it's much better to adjust their diet to make sure they're getting all their nutrition that way.

U can use human vitamin C tablets. Just crush 1 and add to meal.

Is there a reason why it was recommended your puppy need those particulr vitamins ?

Im just purchasing a Bullmastiff puppy and in the diet sheet the breeder had these vitamins to give to him. Vitamin c daily and the rest once a week. I'd never done it before so am unsure.

I'd be careful on giving human-sized amounts of vitamins to a puppy, purely because some doses of vitamins can be toxic in large doses.

If you give vitamin C, make sure it's "ester C" as it's less acidic. I wouldn't be giving a whole tablet daily, either. Maybe 1/4 of a tablet every 2 days, or 1/2 once a week, unless he has some medical issue which requires a more frequent dose. Ditto the other vitamins. If his diet is a good one, additional vitamins and minerals can even do more harm than good.

Alternatively, buy children's vitamin tablets and give one every 2 days (or dose as the bottle directs re weight for a child).

Or, better yet, if you must add a supplement, simply add some biolac to his food once a day until he grows out of it. At least it's made for baby animals, and the vitamin dose won't be harmful. Also, puppies smell lovely and milky with the biolac in their food (an added bonus!).