Ive Created A Little Monster

Hi, My partner and l have a 1yr old Staffie. He is lovely and l have to admit has selective obedience. Now we have someone staying with us for a couple of months and my boy isn't behaving as l would have hoped. As l've let my boy on the couch (and my bed) for that matter. He is now jumping on the couch and hovering over our guest. even sniffing his face and ears. :mad:laugh:

I'm thinking that l obviously need to have a refresher on his training. Now l'm wondering if the best way is to keep him on the lead. As when he is off, sometimes he thinks l'm playing a game and will run around getting more excited. :laugh::eek:

Can anyone provide me with some simple tips for improving (or giving him ) some necessary manner. :)

:) My 2 are shocking with visitors, and jumping around and sitting on them and trying to kiss them, but you could teach him to sit on a bed, while you are on the couch, have him sit/drop on the bed, and throw treats and build up the time gradually

You could also try time outs for silly behaviour, each time he goes over the top, walk him outside and keep him out for a period of time, if you are consistent enough he will learn that sillyness gets him booted outside

Ed with a visitor

DSC_0369.jpg

Your puppy has hit adolescence so the bad behaviour may not just be due to your guest. They sometimes revert back to silly puppy behaviour - luckily it only lasts to about 18mths so persevere. This is the age that many dogs are dumped because they get a bit uncontrollable.

Putting your dog back on lead is a good idea. I put mine back on lead at that age even though they were shadows as pups (and now) as their recall just isnt that good as an adolescent. Go back to basics with training too. I kept up obedience until I got mine get thru this stage - even though it looked like they taking in nothing. I also kicked off mine from the couch for a while - then they learnt that the couch was my area first and they had to get off when told. TIme out is a good idea - this was a favourite of mine. It's worthwhile being a bit stricter during this stage so they learn boundries.

Good luck.

Ed with a visitor

DSC_0369.jpg

:)

That cracks me up. And he's giving a look as though this is what the 'done thing' is. Get a look at his little pecky legs hangin' in the air. :wave:

ETA: Was it Ed who was watching TV? :(

Edited by Erny

Kittycatt .... I'm sorry. We're steering away from your problem and the reason for your thread.

Actually, reading your OP, I think you already part way know the answer to your problem. IE : Establishing boundaries. Of course, you need to set the boundaries and you need to be consistent in your expectations that those boundaries be observed.

Following the NILIF program ("Nothing In Life Is Free") is one very good way of firming up some respect from your dog and also in getting you in the habit of expecting things from your dog - something many don't do. If you're not sure of what this is about, a google search will give you a tonne of hits and info, but basically it is about getting your dog to do something for you first, before you give him ANYTHING. Also, follow the "TOT" program/exercise which is explained in a sticky at the top of the training forum here.

When there's a behaviour problem in existence (such as pushiness) I tend to put a stop to sharing couch and/or bed with the dog. Some will scoff at that, but with the boy I have now, I actually notice a considerable difference when I have allowed him up with me compared to when I don't - and that's even though he's only permitted up with a command. I believe it is relative to his age, which is at the 'smarty pants teenage' phase and I've pulled the reins in a bit until we get through that time.

Edited by Erny

Kittycatt .... I'm sorry. We're steering away from your problem and the reason for your thread.

Actually, reading your OP, I think you already part way know the answer to your problem. IE : Establishing boundaries. Of course, you need to set the boundaries and you need to be consistent in your expectations that those boundaries be observed.

Following the NILIF program ("Nothing In Life Is Free") is one very good way of firming up some respect from your dog and also in getting you in the habit of expecting things from your dog - something many don't do. If you're not sure of what this is about, a google search will give you a tonne of hits and info, but basically it is about getting your dog to do something for you first, before you give him ANYTHING. Also, follow the "TOT" program/exercise which is explained in a sticky at the top of the training forum here.

When there's a behaviour problem in existence (such as pushiness) I tend to put a stop to sharing couch and/or bed with the dog. Some will scoff at that, but with the boy I have now, I actually notice a considerable difference when I have allowed him up with me compared to when I don't - and that's even though he's only permitted up with a command. I believe it is relative to his age, which is at the 'smarty pants teenage' phase and I've pulled the reins in a bit until we get through that time.

I'll struggle with the 'bed with the dog'. My partner is away and wont be back for awhile so l hate to say it, but my boy is a bit of a comfort to me. Its horrible having a room to myself, when l'm used to someone else being there. Also come to think of it, my dog hogs the bed just like my partner... :scold::eek: But l do get what you mean. Short term sacrific long term gain.

My boy when l ignore him will talk his head off. And then gets annoyed that l'm not paying him any attention and walks off. Sometimes though he takes his frustration out on the poor pillow :laugh::laugh:

At least this 'new visitor' is a good training aid for us.

Just an update....

Ive had my boy on a lead a little just so he settles and remains calm and on the ground.... This has worked a treat... I have also been asking him to stay off the couch so much.. He still jumps up and onto our visitor, but immediately jumps down after l tell him. He is staying for a bit also. The problem we have is that our visitor kinda stares at my boy (in a nice way, he thinks he is lovely and just looks at him and has a little laugh) well my boy takes this the wrong way and jumps up to give our visitor kisses.... :rofl::rofl: I know this isn't totally relevant and l dont want anyone to think l'm being racist. But our visitor is Japanse and very quietly spoken and doesn't want to tell my boy off in any way (kinda good, but hard when lm out of the room and come back to my boy literally walking over him) :rofl: so l think it will be a long process as its just me trying to correct him as our visitor is quite passive. But so far so good :):laugh:

Kittycatt .... great that you've taken a step towards control by using a lead and glad things are improving, if only by small amounts at this early stage. But why not keep him on lead when you have a visitor, seeing as you know that visitors are one of his weaknesses? Take him with you when you need to step out of the room if your visitor/s are not the doggy types to understand what to do and how.

Edited by Erny

Kittycatt .... great that you've taken a step towards control by using a lead and glad things are improving, if only by small amounts at this early stage. But why not keep him on lead when you have a visitor, seeing as you know that visitors are one of his weaknesses? Take him with you when you need to step out of the room if your visitor/s are not the doggy types to understand what to do and how.

I agree and I am trying to do that. However it can be kinda hard. This visitor will be living with us for about 6 months!!! Also this morning l let him out first thing (whilst l was showering) and our visitor let him in. He obviously thought he was being nice. This time my boy didn't annoy our visitor but instead he gutted a throw pillow :):laugh::rofl:

I agree and I am trying to do that. However it can be kinda hard. This visitor will be living with us for about 6 months!!! Also this morning l let him out first thing (whilst l was showering) and our visitor let him in. He obviously thought he was being nice. This time my boy didn't annoy our visitor but instead he gutted a throw pillow :rofl: ;) :)

Sometimes the person is more of a problem than the dog.

Maybe you should put a collar and lead around the visitor unti he/she learns to keep your overgrown pup in line :p :laugh:

I agree and I am trying to do that. However it can be kinda hard. This visitor will be living with us for about 6 months!!! Also this morning l let him out first thing (whilst l was showering) and our visitor let him in. He obviously thought he was being nice. This time my boy didn't annoy our visitor but instead he gutted a throw pillow :rofl::eek::o

Sometimes the person is more of a problem than the dog.

Maybe you should put a collar and lead around the visitor unti he/she learns to keep your overgrown pup in line :thumbsup::laugh:

Thats what l thought.... But then l have a feeling that it will be on for quite some time. How do you tell a quietly spoken, polite, shy person to be more disciplined and firm with MY dog. I just might have to grin and bear it. And let my dog loose when our visitor isnt home??? Gee l thought it would be good (extra income) to rent a room out. I just didn't think about my cheeky four legged friend