Photography Tips For Dog Shows

leopuppy04

Some of you know I'm quite new to the SLR/ photography world - am still learning the ropes in a big way, so to speak.

I have previously taken shots at shows, including movement shots with my old point and shoot.

We had our club's open show today and with my showie busy with pups, I thought I'd go along and practice with my camera :)

We were indoors and since I am still learning the ways of the camera, I set it onto 'sports mode' (assuming it would be good for movement shots), came home and was grossly dissappointed with the quality. Most of them are blurry or in focus, but the dogs feet are all blurry. I didn't get ONE shot that was as crisp and clear as I did on my P&S.

Anyone know why this may be and what I can do to improve my shots?!

I must admit - I was expecting at least a *few* good ones in there, since I usually get some nice ones on a P&S (really crisp and clear)

Guest Tess32

For indoor shots at shows, I basically pump up the ISO to at least 1600, and set the camera on aperture priority and on the maximum aperture. This will allow the most light in and allow for faster shutter speeds. Also should be set on AI servo mode (or equivalent on the brand).

If you check the information on each photo and find out what shutter speed you got and what ISO the camera used, that will be your answer - most likely too low. I think on some cams, the basic modes don't increase the ISO as far as it can go.

To get the feet in focus, at a dog travelling quite fast, you need at least 1/500 depending on the breed, and that can be very hard to get indoors - simply not enough light.

I thought the indoors might have been part of the issue as all other shows I've shot have been outdoors.

The camera was set at ISO 800 but not sure on shutter speed. Appeture was about 4.0 -5.0 I think, depending on zoom (was using a basic 55 - 250mm zoom)

So would you recommend shooting in Av or Tv next time?! I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to get good shots using this mode :)

Was on AI servo, continuous shooting.

Should I move with the dog, will this cause extra blur, or should I remain focussed on one point and start clicking when the dogs come past?! I did the latter for 90% of shots.

Always pan with the dog - staying still and clicking with cause the dog to be blurred. If you pan with the dog as it moves past the head and body should be fine and the legs will depend on how high the shutter speed is.

Practice panning and freezing of movements on cars on a fairly busy road. That way you can practice getting the setting right for exposure and moving objects without the subject being something important.

Guest Tess32

Was it KCC?

Yep, need higher ISO in that place than 800. Honestly, even at 1600 sometimes you can struggle. Sometimes you simply can't get everything in crisp focus because there just isn't enough light.

Personally, I use AV, not TV. AV set to the maximum aperture for that lens (so 4.0 on yours) is going to give you the highest shutter you can get anyway. If you were outside you could happily use Tv mode and set the shutter to 1/1000 but you just cannot get that indoors at somewhere like KCC, especially on duller days.

It's a challenging place to take pics for anyone, even pros etc.

I always pan with the dog, that's what servo mode is for.

Not sure about the current crop of cameras, but the older Canon DSLR's used to limit the ISO to 400 in sports mode. So even if you had it set to 800 in the manual settings, by turning the dial to sports mode, it would automatically default to 400.

So you were getting good MOVING shots indoors at KCC with a point and shoot?

I have taken dogs and handlers out into the rain at that place and got a better result than indoors.

(These were gundogs though so didn't seem to mind the wet. And not everyone is game to do photos

out in the elements!)

Shots are possible indoors there when you know what you are dealing with but I sometimes feel shots lack a bit of punch.

Edited by chezzyr

Sorry Chezz - nope - good moving shots outdoors with a point and shoot :rofl:.

Because I am a beginner, I didn't realise that it would make such a huge difference in terms of taking photos indoors with my new 'heavy duty' camera :laugh: