What To Feed Puppy?

harlosmummy

GayleK I tried Uncle Albers on my silkys, did you notice any change in their drinking habits?

No, no change in anything except their coats. I don't give it to my littlie though (an old Lhasa Apso) as it's a very dense kibble and much too hard for her old teeth. And that could be a clue as to why your littlies are drinking more.....they may have a residue in their mouths they're trying to wash out or something.

It might be a kibble that is more suited to big dogs than small.

thank you for all your advice!

i think i will try advance puppy

also ive been reading through other forums and people are saying they feed their dogs cottage cheese, goats milk, natural yogurt and sardines

i thought that dogs are lactose intolerant so no dairy and that you are not meant to feed them fish (sardines)??

am i wrong? :hug:

you have a mix of breeds that can be sensitive to grains - avoid anything with wheat in it. Also looks a little small for 11 weeks old and if the teeth are so tiny be aware it could be younger then you were told (as is often the case)

I recommend royal canin or eagle pack and thats about it. I would be getting large breed puppy food and mixing it with raw meaty bones - no such thing as too young. I dont bother with cottage cheese, tinned fish is good occasionally (remember in small doses for now otherwise you can upset the dogs tummy) and some scrambled egg if you're already having some. Dont be afraid of a few table scraps in the odd dinner bowl as long as their dog safe and cooked bone/onion/spice free.

dont grow your puppy fast and keep the weight down to prevent bone problems during the growth phase.

also ive been reading through other forums and people are saying they feed their dogs cottage cheese, goats milk, natural yogurt and sardines

i thought that dogs are lactose intolerant so no dairy and that you are not meant to feed them fish (sardines)??

am i wrong? :thumbsup:

Dairy is a generally a no with the exception of the things you listed above - I feed a raw diet and regularly feed natural yoghurt, it is really good for dogs and the 'good' bacteria in it can help with their digestion. I also feed tinned sardines and mackeral a few times a week.

am i wrong? :wave:

Dairy is a generally a no with the exception of the things you listed above - I feed a raw diet and regularly feed natural yoghurt, it is really good for dogs and the 'good' bacteria in it can help with their digestion. I also feed tinned sardines and mackeral a few times a week.

Yep, me too. A natural yogurt with probiotics is really good for them and the omega oils in the sardines and mackeral is great for the dogs coat. Both have good calcium in them too. Cows milk is not good for dogs and will upset their tummies but the lactose level in goats milk is different (many people who are lactose intollerant or suffer allergies can drink goats milk without it affecting them also). My boy LOVES goats milk and has never had an upset tummy from it. Only downfall is that if he has too much, too often he gets a bit chubby :rofl:

If you're feeding a good quality dry food you don't need to add anything, but most dogs enjoy the extras and it's good for them, so why not?

Right from the word go, we have fed our puppy royal canin. I mean, our vet sells it, and it was recommended by them, but we have found it to bo soooo good for *our* dog.

She was having 2-3 small meals when she was only little and a chicken wing or smaller meat bone 2-3 times a week.

She is now 17 months old and as two bigger meals a day (not quite as much as is recommended) but we also give her a big meaty bone or chicken wing either every day or every 2nd day- we try to mix it up so that she enjoys it too and its not too dull. Plus, the bones and wings etc really help her teeth remain clean and strong :)

It really is just what suits you and your dog.

I have always fed my dogs Advanced (which has all sorts of vitamins & minerals etc) & everyone has always commented about the excellent condition of my Danes coats & size, at times I had to feed my boy the "Active" mix becuase he couldnt maintain a constant weight but now he is great at a lean 68kgs.

The only additional supplement I feed my danes from 8 weeks upwards is MSM Glucosimine & Nat Yogurt. Although with the ongoing diahrrea issues with our newest addition I have been giving her probiotics like Protexin.

We've had to make food adjustments from the start with Koda, she's had ongoing diahrrea since we got her. We cut out chicken mince, then tried beef mince & then had to cut that out. We now only feed her moistened kibble (Advanced Puppy Growth/Large Breed) with a desert spoon of Nat Yougurt in the mornings & the odd chicken neck as a treat here & there.

The breeders diet was moistened Bonnie Working Dog or Supercoat Puppy with a spoonful of mince at night & Nat Yogurt in the morning.

Could it be the change in kibble & possibly the amount that I feed her (2 cups in morning & night)??

so what have you chosen? hows the pup

Me.. I am just making a transition to Bonnie Working Dog while we wait for the vet's faecal results. I will certainly be watching for any changes in coat etc but I need to stop Koda's tummy problems as a priority. I went back to this as it was one of the breeders choices, I wondering if the Advance was too strong for her. We'll know in a few more days hopefully.

so what have you chosen? hows the pup

Me.. I am just making a transition to Bonnie Working Dog while we wait for the vet's faecal results. I will certainly be watching for any changes in coat etc but I need to stop Koda's tummy problems as a priority. I went back to this as it was one of the breeders choices, I wondering if the Advance was too strong for her. We'll know in a few more days hopefully.

the bonnie working dog is good, my pup didnt touch the advance, the evo was good but i heard good thign about bonnie workign dog, shes been on it for a few dasy now and good results so far,

hello everyone

thanks for all your replies!

puppy is well, very cute and getting bigger by the minute, she is currently still on EVO dry food and we mix in puppy milk at night and then have been starting to give her bones, which she loves, we are thinking of starting her on Purina dry food as that was recommended by someone at pet superstore, has anyone used it before?