Heartworm Help

There's no way you would get me to go back and use that daily stuff.

It contains a poison that you give daily.

I would rather use one dose monthly.

I also feel sorry for the Collie breeds that have to have the daily.

The difference being that the 'monthly' ones release over the whole period of 45 days? Save that the active ingredient in the daily drug is (from what I'm informed) the more 'kinder' drug for the dog. So how do you figure the monthly one is better?

This is not actually correct. The monthly tablets do not slow release - the active ingredient only stays around in the body for a couple of days. It's during this time that it kills certain life stages of the heartworm - all prior to the adult stage. Basically speaking, the ivermectin kills heartworm larvae from the age of 0-30days, so on the day you give the monthly chew, any heartworm aquired in the last 30 days (or probably 45-60 days) will be killed.

The daily tablet kills the larvae in the final stage before it becomes an adult. That's why it's important to give it every day, as by missing just a couple of days allows the larvae to reach adult hood. It's dangerous to give the daily tablet to a dog that has adult heartworm, because the babies that the adults produce, can react with the drug. The daily tab is also not 100% - we have had dogs test positive to heartworm that have been on the daily tabs.

So basically, giving a daily tablet is actually giving more chemicals, as its a regular daily dose, where as the monthly tabs is only around for a couple of days.

not saying that your wrong as im still new to all this heart worm, but do you ahve any info to back up what youve sed, or whats makes you think that way?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not saying that your wrong as im still new to all this heart worm, but do you ahve any info to back up what youve sed, or whats makes you think that way?

I would suggest that you have a read of this website: http://www.heartwormsociety.org/

Stormie has just posted standard information regarding the duration of action of ivermectin and the reasons for the dosing interval. The is a lot of misinformation and misinterpreted scientific information to be found on the net - I would really strongly suggest that people discuss health care issues with their vet.

When ProHeart6 first hit the market here, it was claimed to be safe or any dog, inluding heartworm positive dogs, and with any vax, antibiotic, etc, Plain and simple, it was as safe as bottled drinkng water. But then theFDA got reports of heartworm positive dogs ying after getting it and they had Fort Dodge change to the lable to "treat heartworm positive dogs before using ProHeart6." As more an more reports of seizures, AIHA, liver damage, etc, came in, the lable was changed again at the FED's say, and then the day Hunter got i fatal injection, "death" was finally listed. Only I did not know any of this til after his death. The dear Doctor letters that were ent from Fort Dodge to vets can be found at www.dogsadversereactions.com

When it was pulled from the market here, Canada did not pull it BUT they set out reports, letters to vets, etc saying it was to ONLY BE USED on dogs that could not take any other form of prevention. I suspect this came about because of us being neighbors and well aware of what goes on the other country--and it seems half of Canada must be on American dog forums. I don't know what Canada's stand is on the"reformulated version" that is out now. But as stated in other post, the product is loaded with warnings. And I can tell you this, I am sure it would never have been removed from the market if the FDA had not told them to do so. The first time there wereads all over TV and radio for it, but so far I hav no sen r heard single one. And according to posts on my golden retriever forums, many of their vets are not usng it this time after what happene last time.

I think itwrong that the same warnings are not on your stuff. They probably would not be on ours if not for the animal division of theFDA keeping upwith the reports and knowing how deadly it as the first time. Fort Dodge stll claims he first round was "safe", yet it is reformulted and the"residue thought o cause some ractions" has been removed

Oh by the way, Pfizer is buying out Wyeth/Fort Dodge and the deal should be sealed by the end of the year. All of us still in contact that lost/almost lost a dog/dogs the first time around are wonering how this will affect the ProHeart6--will they push it harder, keep it the same, etc.

There's no way you would get me to go back and use that daily stuff.

It contains a poison that you give daily.

I would rather use one dose monthly.

I also feel sorry for the Collie breeds that have to have the daily.

The difference being that the 'monthly' ones release over the whole period of 45 days? Save that the active ingredient in the daily drug is (from what I'm informed) the more 'kinder' drug for the dog. So how do you figure the monthly one is better?

This is not actually correct. The monthly tablets do not slow release - the active ingredient only stays around in the body for a couple of days. It's during this time that it kills certain life stages of the heartworm - all prior to the adult stage. Basically speaking, the ivermectin kills heartworm larvae from the age of 0-30days, so on the day you give the monthly chew, any heartworm aquired in the last 30 days (or probably 45-60 days) will be killed.

The daily tablet kills the larvae in the final stage before it becomes an adult. That's why it's important to give it every day, as by missing just a couple of days allows the larvae to reach adult hood. It's dangerous to give the daily tablet to a dog that has adult heartworm, because the babies that the adults produce, can react with the drug. The daily tab is also not 100% - we have had dogs test positive to heartworm that have been on the daily tabs.

So basically, giving a daily tablet is actually giving more chemicals, as its a regular daily dose, where as the monthly tabs is only around for a couple of days.

Not that I can give you a link to, sorry. I got it from our IVS Annual (Index of Veterinary Specialties). Basically it's a database of drugs which gives information to vets on how they work, dose rates etc.

My grandfather accidently took his poodle's DEC tablet everyday for about 6 weeks, and she got his diabetes tablet!!! :o

Both were fine, and lived to a ripe old age.

That said, I prefer not to give DEC to my dogs... just a personal choice, I s'pose.