Kidney Stones In Dogs

anyone have a dog with kidney stones, how were the stone detected, how do you treat, any other health issues rising form the kidney stones etc any info would be appreciated please

Ollie was dxd with kidney and bladder stones (oxalate stones) when he was about 6 years old.

The stone in his bladder was too big to be passed so he had surgery to remove it.

I noticed he seemed to want to wee a fair bit but did not seem to do a lot and a few times he would start to wee and then stop and move to start again and then stop again. His tummy seemed sore too. The final thing was one morning he was standing in the back yard and he was hanging his head and the drool was hanging to the ground from his mouth - scared the hell out of me. I rushed him to the vets again and with the previous info he was sent for an ultrasound.

I also caught some wee for testing and the vet said to put some on a piece of paper and let it dry in the sun - when it is dry, it sort of crytalises...

Ultrasound showed the big stone in his bladder and smaller ones in his kidneys - so the op was done straight away. He was cut from under his ribs all the way to just a cm or so from his penis - it was a big incision but obviously necessary and he spent 2 days in hosptial being monitored.

We changed his diet and removed a lot of oxalate causing veges, no dried food, he went onto HSD UD for a bit but hated it, so I researched what I could feed him and we have not had an issue since (touch wood)...

It helps if you know what sort of stones they are - so you can adjust the diet to help prevent them reoccurring

Hope this helps

My dog had some very small kidney stones as a side effect from his liver shunt, thankfully they didn't cause him a problem and I was told they would dissolve once the liver was sorted and they must have because he's been fine.

Thanks have a dog in rescue that came with hill sd food and kidney stones were mentioned but no paperwork or any info on any medical attention for stones.

Also dont know which vet diagnosised or if he has been diagnosised but would assume he would have to be to get the special food?