Agility

I'm about to start agility at a local club, the first meeting is this Sunday. However being completely new to the whole dog sporting world was wondering what to expect? Is there anything I need to bring (except for dog on lead), such as treats,toy? Anything I definately shouldn't bring (again treats?). Should she be wearing her harness? What is the common dog etiquete at these sort of things when meeting someone else who has a dog?

Sorry for so many questions but I don't want to inadvertantly do the wrong thing.

I would bring your dog on a flat collar and lead.

Bring treats, toys, anything your dog finds rewarding :thumbsup:

If you wish to allow your dog to visit another dog, it is a good idea to ask the other person if that is OK first, in case their dog does not want to visit.

Does your dog have some basic obedience? Recall, sit, drop, stay are the ones you will be using in agility.

Each club can be a bit different so it may pay to ask them directly.

At my club you are encouraged to bring anything that motivates your dog including treats. Dogs train on a flat collar only - no harnesses, haltis or other kinds of collars.

You should wear covered in shoes (most folk wear some kind of runners), comfortable clothes and have a crate or lead you can tie your dog up with.

I would not allow my dog to greet others unless invited. Most folk want their dogs to concentrate on them. After class may be a bit different.

Oh, and bring a sense of humour.. most folk need it at times. :thumbsup:

I'm about to start agility at a local club, the first meeting is this Sunday. However being completely new to the whole dog sporting world was wondering what to expect? Is there anything I need to bring (except for dog on lead), such as treats,toy? Anything I definately shouldn't bring (again treats?). Should she be wearing her harness? What is the common dog etiquete at these sort of things when meeting someone else who has a dog?

Sorry for so many questions but I don't want to inadvertantly do the wrong thing.

Aubrey is off to her 3rd agility session tonight :thumbsup:

You will need your dog who has not been fed (food orientated!), lots of treats, poop bags, leash and an open mind.

Harnesses are not too good as they can get in the way, or so I was told my our club, so I'll go along with that.

Most dog owners will just walk around with their dogs, some will play and some will just carry on... I guess it depends on what is going on. I would think that during the training session all eyes on the trainer and doing what is required when asked... play time is for before / afterwards.

Most clubs have a lot of strict rules such as not using the equipment without authroization etc, but that is to be expected. Speak to the club, get their rule book with the do's and the don'ts and follow them, and you'll fit in nicely.

As for you, enjoy the time with the dog, it forms a great bond and more trust with each other. Also, don't rush through the equipment, make sure that your dog gets an understanding and knows the words you use for instructions.

Also, a bum bag full of treats as you'll need your hands free to hold the leash and direct your dog :rofl:

Enjoy yourself and listen to the other trainers and handlers and they'll accept you in no time :rofl:

Andrew

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The only collar she has at the moment is a flat collar. I have a rope lead that is about one and a half meters and a normal sized leather leash, which would be better? I had thought to use the rope lead.

In terms of basic obedience she knows how to sit, drop and stay (thought the stay can at times be less reliable as she only recently learnt it). Her recall is not reliable, especially in new and exciting environments. I have been working on it but am finding it challenging as she can be a bit headstrong. Would it be ok to keep her on the lead for the first couple of times?

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The only collar she has at the moment is a flat collar. I have a rope lead that is about one and a half meters and a normal sized leather leash, which would be better? I had thought to use the rope lead.

In terms of basic obedience she knows how to sit, drop and stay (thought the stay can at times be less reliable as she only recently learnt it). Her recall is not reliable, especially in new and exciting environments. I have been working on it but am finding it challenging as she can be a bit headstrong. Would it be ok to keep her on the lead for the first couple of times?

So you didn't have to do a control test to start?? OK. Without a reliable recall (using motivators is OK) you would not be able to do agility at my club.

The first rule at our club is that dogs are never onlead while on equipment - leads tangle around dogs and in equipment and can be used to coerce dogs. You would not have the option to keep her onlead while training with us.

Make sure you have something with you that is highly motivating to her and use it to get a recall. Keep her onlead unless your instructor tells you to take her off. Don't delay putting her back onlead when you've done whatever equipment you're working on.

Keep her away from other dogs while she is offlead. Offlead dogs coming to visit while others are training on equipment will be one thing that will be guaranteed to cheese your fellow classmates off.

Edited by poodlefan

Different clubs have different requirements, some train onlead at first, some only train offlead. A reliable recall is something that you will definitely need in agility, as the majority if not all of it is done off lead and a distance from the handler. Definitely something to practice!

I know it is definately needed. That is why I'm working on it. I just thought it might be a good idea to at least get her in the atmosphere. If its only offlead even from the begining then we will just have to wait until we are more reliable, maybe do some obedience classes first? Apparently they have an obedience section. Will have a chat with her and see what she thinks is best. I'm not too fussed, I just think she is getting bored with my limited repetoir. She is a very energetic dog so I thought agility would be more apropriate than obedience. How long do agility classes usually last?

Thanks for all the great help

I'm a newb just like you...

And after umming and ahhing and thinking that all the clubs are too far away from me, I'm going to bite the bullet and drive the 40mins to a reputable training club that sounds like a fantastic learning base for my girls.

Going next week myself to check it out and sign up, and the week after with one of my girls for the beginner class...

I can't wait! :)