Patellar Luxation Grade 1 Mini Poodle Pup

Jennifer W

I very recently sold a miniature poodle at 8 weeks to a lovely family and a week later received an email informing me she had taken the puppy to the vet for her immunisation and the vet said she had a grade 1 patellar luxation in one knee. I was naturally very upset for the puppy and her owners and rang my vet who had given all my pups a very thorough check at 6 weeks and he said found nothing at that time. My breeding dogs do not have this problem and I have not had any other puppy owners advise of this - my vet said some vets can be a little heavy handed with the knee caps on young pups as their legs are still quite pliable at 9 weeks. I've read lots on the net about it since receiving this email but am very worried by it and would like to know iof others have had this problem so early and if it does get worse - the vet who the owner took her too said it may improve as she grows and to wait and see what happens - my owner is naurally very upset by this as the famly loves the pup so much. I have been a registered breed for 4 years now and try very hard to breed beautiful pups without any problems .

I'd not be grading any luxation until the pup was about 12 months old.

Grade 1 is not serious and more muscular development may, as the vet suggests, solve the issue.

My Toy Poodle had mild luxation when I got her at 8 months and it was not evident at 12 months.

I know they'd be fretting but they should listen to their vets advice and not panic.

I'd not be grading any luxation until the pup was about 12 months old.

Grade 1 is not serious and more muscular development may, as the vet suggests, solve the issue.

My Toy Poodle had mild luxation when I got her at 8 months and it was not evident at 12 months.

I know they'd be fretting but they should listen to their vets advice and not panic.