Goodbye Jamaica

menacebear

On sunday the 24th may my OH and I made the heartbreaking decision to have Jammi put to sleep. Jamaica had some aggression issues and unfortunatly we were unable to save him. He was 7 years old. :angel::champagne::cheer:

Anyone who has run flyball in any state of Australia will probably remember Jamaica. It's not easy to forget a massive white dog run by a 6'4' handler in amongst all those border collies and working dogs. Jammi stood out like (and pardon my pun) dogs balls. If you'd never faced up against Jammi in the ring it was easy to underestimate him. After all who would think that a dog of his size, weighing in at 35kgs could possible be capable of such speed. And yet he could run down pretty much any dog there was. He ran consistantly in the low 4's even as he got older and stiffer. His best ever time was 4.1 seconds and he would carry these times over heights. The turn off the box and the return to my OH was amazing to watch, he literally flew. Jamaica helped 3 different clubs achieve division 1 victory. He was a true crowd pleaser, something different to watch. And then there was his tug. My OH is a big man but it was near impossible to get that tug of Jammi once he was locked on. Many a race was postponed as OH and Jammi fought it out in the back of the ring. He was magnificent though, a true star to watch and my OH's pride and joy.

If not for Jamaica my OH and I would have probably never met. I first noticed him when I caught sight of Jammi at a competetion on day. I saw this massive white animal standing there on a team of border collies and followed the leash up to the lovely man on the end of it. I will be forever grateful to Jammi for bringing him to my attention and giving me something to perve on :D

Although Jammi had his problems he was my OH's baby and the loss of him has hit us both hard. It was the worst choice we have ever had to make and one that will haunt us for a long time. We would have given anything for things to have worked out differently and it breaks our hearts that we were unable to save him. Although we did everythig possible for him the knowledge that we did the only responsible thing does not help when he is gone. I would give anything to give him another pat and let him know how much he was loved. It breaks my heart to see Flite, our border collie, sniff at the spot Jammi eats every morning. Flite was raised with him and knows he is gone. All the dogs broke into a mournful howl last night and as my OH said, they only ever do that when one of them is taken away.

It's so hard not knowing if the right choice was made and if we have taken his life away before he was ready. I hope wherever he is he is warm and dry, he hated the rain. I hope he is dry, warm and pain free. I hope his spirit is at peace.

Goodbye Jamaica-you were one of a kind and will never ever be forgotten. Run free at the bridge big boy. I pray we will meet again one day. We are so so sorry for what had to be done :birthday::thumbsup::cheers::cheer:

Guest Clover

Play hard at the bridge Jammi, you will be forever in our hearts big white boy :thumbsup:.

3566367212_8615826021_o.jpg

3566367218_75df714f77_o.jpg

3566378434_3f2311f838.jpg

:laugh: and love For Daddy and Sal.

Edited by Clover

• 2 weeks later...