Flaking Skin

Hi all,

Has anyone got suggestions for severe flaking itchy skin? My 3.5yr old Golden Retriever who has really great skin normally is flaking like no tomorrow. I got a groomer to bath her in Aloveen which is what i always use but it is no better.

She went swimming a week ago somewhere we havent been before and it seems it has occured only a few days after that.

She eats a good quality diet which is Advance sensitive skin and stomach (has a sensitive stomach). She has been on this food since end of Feb or early march. I cant remember exactly. She hasnt had any issues and the food has been fantastic for her.

She also gets fish oil capsules nightly.

Any ideas of how to get rid of this flaking skin? It's driving her insane she keeps scratching like no tomorrow.

Well I guess you need to find the actual cause of the itching so you know what to treat. Maybe a skin scraping at the vets to see if they can identify anything?

One of my Goldies had dry flaky skin for a while (no itching) so I gave him Mega Oil every day which did the trick. I'd also suggest not bathing too often as this can dry the skin as well.

Is that the one at health food shops?

I have used it before and it isnt really suitable for Charlotte. She gets terrible farts constantly when she's on it and when i used it she had the runs. I stopped giving it to her as i cant have her getting stomach upsets.

Is there something else which is better than that?

I usually bath Charlotte every 4 to 6 weeks as that is when she gets very smelly. I dont consider it too often.

Edited by LucyCharzie

Sorry, when I said Mega Oil, I actually meant the Omega 3 stuff you get from pet supply stores or the vets. It is fantastic stuff.

If you find a dog gets the runs or whatever from using something like that, just decrease the dosage until you get to a point where it doesn't affect their digestive system so harshly. Alternatively, give half a dose in the morning and half at night.

How often do you brush your dog? This may make a diference too. Brushing stimulates the hair follicles and massages the coat and skin.

Still think you should ask your vet for a scraping though :)

Definately try adding omega 3 or even sardines in olive oil to her diet ... but do check with the vet for a skin scraping incase it has an underlaying cause.

Thanks for suggestion. She has a very severe sensitive stomach and she reacts very easily. I cant give her any raw foods so cant try the sardines plus i dont think i ever will give sardines to dogs the smell just makes me want to :)

Charlotte gets brushed a few times a week.

I will get a skin scraping done to check if there is an underlying cause.

Could be from the cold weather. I've started getting dry skin from the cold. My dog Buster(Lab x Rotty) use to have really bad flaky skin and it only went away when I changed him to a raw diet.

Definately try adding omega 3 or even sardines in olive oil to her diet ... but do check with the vet for a skin scraping incase it has an underlaying cause.

Thanks for suggestion. She has a very severe sensitive stomach and she reacts very easily. I cant give her any raw foods so cant try the sardines plus i dont think i ever will give sardines to dogs the smell just makes me want to :thumbsup:

Charlotte gets brushed a few times a week.

I will get a skin scraping done to check if there is an underlying cause.

I felt the same way but my dogs eat sardines or tuna nearly every night now. I can't smell them anymore.

She went swimming a week ago somewhere we havent been before and it seems it has occured only a few days after that.

Thinking something in the water may have caused the flaky skin. Did you give her a good bath straight after with your normal shampoo?