Rawhide Treats ?

I keep hearing negative reports about rawhide chews , What is it that makes them so bad ?

Ralph will not eat bones -- weird I know ,I have bought him every type of bone from the butcher & he will just lick them & walk away --

& he also won't chew toys we have a heap of toys he won't chew --- the only thing he will chew is the raw hide bones , when they get " raggy " I take them away & give him a new one

so can someone tell me what is so bad about them ?

The way they are dried usually involves chemicals. They also usually have lots of colouring and flavourings added to them. Not to mention the choking hazard.

What sort of bones have you tried? Lamb flaps (ribs)

Do you restrict the area that your dog is in whilst it has the bone?

Ralph is a Cairn terrier , I tried chicken necks & he swallowed it whole , then tried to swallow another whole & nearly choked , I had to pull it out of his throat , same with wings , He just doesn't get the concept of chewing !!!

Ralph is a Cairn terrier , I tried chicken necks & he swallowed it whole , then tried to swallow another whole & nearly choked , I had to pull it out of his throat , same with wings , He just doesn't get the concept of chewing !!!

Yes my pugs don't understand that they are supposed to chew up chicken necks and swallowed them whole. They have no problems with lamb flabs and rip and chew them apart.

Hmmm what an odd little person he is! What's his usual diet?

he has a mix of home made Barf with vegies &Purina pro plan for sensitive skin & stomach with 1 fish oil capsule

I want him to chew something for his teeth , as he has beautiful teeth ( he is 3 this week ) & I want them to stay this way

try to give him frozen chicken necks/wings, it will force him to chew :laugh:

If he swallows them raw , wouldn't he swallow them frozen ?

nope :laugh: just try it, you will see they will slowly chew on the frozen chicken wing

my golden retriever used to swallow chicken necks whole, after giving her frozen raw meaty bones she now chews everything, even fresh chicken necks :D

I used to feed my dog rawhide chews - the "reconstituted" red sticks - because she didn't like to chew bones. I stopped when she managed to steal a whole box & threw up everywhere on the carpet. The stains from the dye they use are still there, over 2 years later, having survived multiple types of stain remover and regular steam cleaning. It made me think about how many chemicals are in them, and now I only give my dogs natural products - I like dried chicken necks & make my own dog biscotti instead.

try to give him frozen chicken necks/wings, it will force him to chew :laugh:

If he swallows them raw , wouldn't he swallow them frozen ?

nope :laugh: just try it, you will see they will slowly chew on the frozen chicken wing

my golden retriever used to swallow chicken necks whole, after giving her frozen raw meaty bones she now chews everything, even fresh chicken necks :D

I feed frozen chicken wings, they almost kill themself on defrosted ones, but have no choice but the chew the frozen ones!