Can Dogs Get Hemorrhoids?

I mentioned before that Ivan [who's 10] had been struggling to pooh occasionally in the last few months. His diet hadn't changed and the general consensus was that they can get constipated as they get older due to a change in their muscles. We had him groomed the other day and when OH went to pick him up they said he had a red lump on his anus which bled when they washed him. Could it be just a hemorrhoid? He doesn't seem in any discomfort.

Edited by ruthless

No, but he gets this on all his meals and every few days some bran or psyllium husk. Would they do the same thing?

The omega oil probably wouldn't do much but the bran and psyllium husks might as it is the extra fibre in the veggies that is usefull.

I would blend up a small batch of veggies and give it a go for a week or so.

You could try just a simple batch if you didn't want to go the hwole hog. Something including pumpkin, spinach, cellary, whole eggs and pears.

My cat has haemorrhoids primarily because the little bugger doesn't drink enough water. Dry food with lots of fibre plus not enough water = cement poos = straining = haemorrhoids. ??Maybe back off on the psylliam as it may be too much?

Monty used to bum scoot a bit when I first got him and he used to struggle doing a poo. I also thought his backside looked a bit swollen. He was wormed, and had glands checked so I didn't know what his problem was. Our vet didn't know what was causing it either.

We happened to be at a sale thing, and Doctor Harry was there meeting people and dogs so I asked him about it. He said to just buy some hemorroid ointment and use that. He said he thought it was hemorroids. Anyway, I did do that and the problem went away. Came back briefly about 6 months later, and used the ointment again. It has never returned since.

It was proctosedyl ointment from the chemist. Had to use it twice a day, with the applicator.......yuk. Only had to use it for about 5 days.

You should really have it seen to before you start with the hemorrhoid treatment.

Anal gland abscesses and anal gland tumours are the first things I would think of and anal gland tumours need to be seen to ASAP. :thumbsup:

Is he neutered? Prostate enlargement could also be a problem and you may in fact need to reduce the amount of psyllium or get rid of it to make the poo smaller and easier to pass.

Just brought Ivan to the vet. Unfortunately he didn't know exactly what's wrong with him :laugh: It's not a hemorrhoid, cause it's to the side of his anus. He thinks it could be an anal adenoma, but he's given him a course of ABs to see if it's just an infection. If they don't work he'll need surgery too. Sigh. My dogs are very expensive at the moment :(