Best Diet For Puppies.

Jetty

Hi,

I have been feeding my puppy dry dog feed every since I have gotten him, he is now 17 weeks old. I have been having a look on Dol and have noticed alot of people have been doing there own receipes and premade receipes of meats, veggies and eggs. I would just like to know the appropriate diet I should be feeding him on. He is a fox terrier cross.

THANKS

post-29335-1244697813_thumb.jpg

I feed Winston a mixture of chicken mince, vegies and a little bit of rice garlic all cooked up and then freeze and defrost for every meal. Much cheaper and helathy alternative to tin food. Plus he's not a fan of dog food. Every morning I give him half the recommended daily serving of dry food on it's own....plus he eats whatever breakfast my little brother drops on the floor....weetbix are his favourite lol. Then of a night time I mix a little bit of dry food through his chicken "stirfry" lol. He does fine on all of this stuff...including weetbix (and he has no more anal gland problems!!!.....Go figure, especially after eating weetbix the way he does lol).

Your puppy is so cute btw!

The best diet for you pup is the diet he does best on!

I feed my dogs on a raw diet, because that is what they do the best on. If you want to look into raw feeding, do some research on raw diets/BARF/prey model and decide for yourself! :rofl:

I feed Winston a mixture of chicken mince, vegies and a little bit of rice garlic all cooked up and then freeze and defrost for every meal. Much cheaper and helathy alternative to tin food. Plus he's not a fan of dog food. Every morning I give him half the recommended daily serving of dry food on it's own....plus he eats whatever breakfast my little brother drops on the floor....weetbix are his favourite lol. Then of a night time I mix a little bit of dry food through his chicken "stirfry" lol. He does fine on all of this stuff...including weetbix (and he has no more anal gland problems!!!.....Go figure, especially after eating weetbix the way he does lol).

Does the chicken mince have bone in it?

I feed Winston a mixture of chicken mince, vegies and a little bit of rice and garlic all cooked up and then freeze and defrost for every meal. Much cheaper and helathy alternative to tin food. Plus he's not a fan of dog food. Every morning I give him half the recommended daily serving of dry food on it's own....plus he eats whatever breakfast my little brother drops on the floor....weetbix are his favourite lol. Then of a night time I mix a little bit of dry food through his chicken "stirfry" lol. He does fine on all of this stuff...including weetbix (and he has no more anal gland problems!!!.....Go figure, especially after eating weetbix the way he does lol).

Does the chicken mince have bone in it?

Not sure, I just go to Leonards to buy it. I've also bought trays of it from Woolworths before. I only buy human grade, not pet mince as I've heard some nasty things about it. Plus I don't like the colour difference, it looks strange.

SamNWinstons Human grade mince won't have bone in it. The chicken pet-mince includes bone (it's minced up bodies) which is why it is a different colour. It is also better for the dog - meat is not the natural food of a dog - meat & bone is what nature intended them to eat

OP - your puppy, your choice. If your pup is doing well and you are happy with what you're feeding, then that's the right food for your pup.

For me it would be a BARF diet.

Minced chicken carcusses (puppy mince), lamb bones, food processed veggies/fruit/eggs, sardines & offal.

Not sure, I just go to Leonards to buy it. I've also bought trays of it from Woolworths before. I only buy human grade, not pet mince as I've heard some nasty things about it. Plus I don't like the colour difference, it looks strange.

If you feed your puppy meat without bone you are going to do alot of damage to it's growing bones and muscles. Lenards sell puppy mince which is minced chicken carcusses and perfect for growing puppies. Please do not feed meat without bone.

Edited by puggy_puggy

If he eats anything thats good as he shouldnt have a problem when you give him other stuff to eat. I reckon whatever they eat is good enough as long as the puppy tollerates it. IMO they need bikkys in there diet as well as other stuff.