Natural Dog Training

Someone sent this to me the other day, has anyone else heard of Natural Dog Training or Kevin Behan, or read his book?

http://naturaldogtraining.com/

Apparently, NDT is:

Dog training is not about dominating or bribing a dog to obey. Obedience is actually built into a dog's character. In fact the desire to create harmony and work toward a group purpose is part of every dog's predatory heritage.

First, all dogs need to know two things in order to be happy and well-behaved: “Am I safe ?” and “What do I do with my predatory energy?” By simply answering those two primary concerns and understanding that your dog sees the world through his emotions, you can begin to have the kinds of responsiveness and obedience that you desire and that your dog actually wants to give you. That's one of the most important breakthroughs that the natural method gives us, the idea that dogs actually want to learn and are eager to obey us, it's part of their cooperative nature as group predators. The other important breakthrough is that listening to your dog is almost as important as teaching him to listen to you. Training is a two-way street. Your dog will teach you as much as you teach him, if you can tune in to his emotions.

As its name implies, Natural Dog Training is a totally natural, holistic approach that always works, even where other methods fail. Based on the methods used to train search-and-rescue dogs, it operates on the principle that a dog's social energy, which governs his desire to learn and obey, is inextricably linked to his hunting instincts. By playing games that stimulate and satisfying the emotions contained within your dog's prey drive you automatically restructure the emotional dynamic between you. This creates intense focus and a strong desire for group harmony, and is far more effective at teaching a dog to obey than the use of behavioral science methods or dominance training.

http://leecharleskelley.com/naturaldogtraining.html

http://naturaldogtraining.com/blog/why-tra...he-natural-way/

It sounds like he does something similar to prey drive training?

Edited by huski

I've read the book, was a few years ago though so can't remember everything. But from what I do remember, it sounded like a rather disorganised version of prey drive training.

I'll give you a link to a review... the reviewer is spot on in my opinion. :banghead:

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/behandog.html

Thanks Staranais, the review was very interesting and confirmed what I thought his book might be like after reading some excerpts and his website etc.

I've read the book, was a few years ago though so can't remember everything. But from what I do remember, it sounded like a rather disorganised version of prey drive training.

I'll give you a link to a review... the reviewer is spot on in my opinion. :wave:

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/behandog.html

Thanks Staranais, the review was very interesting and confirmed what I thought his book might be like after reading some excerpts and his website etc.

I have the book, I think it is well worth reading. I do not agree 100% with his theory on dog training but there are enough good points in the book to make it part of anyones collection.

I know Tonymc has recommended the book a few times, I hope he notices this thread to give his opinion on it.

Edited by Jeff Jones

Lee Charles Kelley was quite active on another forum I'm on for a while (until he got tired of getting hammered by the residents). He doesn't post there much anymore, but we had some good discussions. I've been playing around with the pushing exercise since I got Kivi. He's getting really into it with toys but won't offer it in any other circumstance. LCK's Psychology Today blog is well worth looking at. I've actually posted some of his articles on here before and had it waved off as new age twaddle because he is fiercely against the dominance hierachy thing. More fiercely than I am!

Neil Satin, who writes the Natural Dog Training Blog is a proponent of using E-collars in his training, which LCK doesn't hold with as far as I could make out.

One of the things people on the other forum struggled with was the idea that a dog can see a person as predator or prey. The best explanation I've seen of it is when wild canids hunt big game. When the animal runs, they chase. When the animal stops and faces them, they stop and back off. I think that this dance of space and weight shift is what they are talking about. I know it well from wild animals. LCK totally understood what I was getting at with hare and bird examples and I could actually have a real discussion about it without having to point out the differences all the time. It was ace! :rofl: I miss his presence on the other forum. All the stirrers and shakers are gone and it's dull over there, now.