Rawhide Chews

Because I have one dog who has had quite a serious bout of pancreatitis, I have been advised by vets never to give her raw bones, which means the others miss out too.

They all like rawhide chews and I have always had these on hand. However, having read in the latest Urban Animal the process the hides are put through I am somewhat horrified at the amount of chemicals, bleach etc that is used.

Is there anywhere I can get chews which are not put through this process?

My dogs are all small (6.5kg and less).

Thanks.

You do not want to feed piggy ears to a dog with pancreatitis as they have a very very high fat content - if it isn't 100% fat then it is almost!

For pancreatitis you have to stick to a set low residue low fat diet so all of the fatty chews are definitely out!!

You do not want to feed piggy ears to a dog with pancreatitis as they have a very very high fat content - if it isn't 100% fat then it is almost!

For pancreatitis you have to stick to a set low residue low fat diet so all of the fatty chews are definitely out!!

Thanks, I know that 150% and I am certainly not talking about pigs ears or snouts or anything like that - and which is why I can't even give her bones. Rawhide chews have the fatty underneath skin residue scraped off. Rawhide chews actually come from the leather industry.

I don't like to feed my dogs rawhide chews .... they are full of cr*p :cry:

That's why I'm asking if anyone knows where they aren't pumped full of cr*p :):thumbsup: . If they were just scraped and dried rawhide, they'd probably be great .... but the smell would probably be enough to make us leave home :laugh:

If you want lean stuff, how about raw roo tails?

I'm looking for something to keep them going for a long time. The chews (bad as they are) keep them going for days. However, I am off to Pet Barn today so I will have a look at them and see how long they keep the dogs going. Thanks.

I also want product made in Australia. O/seas product is becoming too be a risk.

sheeps ears?

I spent ages in Pet Barn this afternoon, nearly :eek: at all the bits and pieces of the poor animals. I bought some kangaroo jerky and some beef ears.

There was pandemonium when I started to hand them out - they just had so much fun and little foster dog Mundy didn't know (in the great Irish saying) whether to sh*t or go blind, :rofl::rofl:

I'm going to check with my vet, but in the meantime, thought I'd ask here. On the packaging of dried kangaroo tail it stated something along the lines of lots of meat and marrow. As the marrow in other bones is a no no for my little dog with pancreatitis, would it be the same with kangaroo - seeing that kangaroo meat is supposed to be low fat?