Double Trouble

bronsonb

I have two 7 month old rottie boys, I know that a lot of you would say that we made a mistake getting two and especially from the same litter, but it's done now. The boys get on really well, we have a lot of rottie wrestling and things get very vocal but neither one seems really dominant (they like to take it in turns) :p I was just wondering if there was any particular age when one would try to become the dominant one and we should take extra special care. They are not desexed at the moment and we are hoping to keep it that way, but I am completely open to the idea if the need arises.

In the next few months, if they haven't already, your boys will probably work out for themselves who's the boss - keep an eye on them just interacting generally and you'll probably be able to figure it out. If one is a natural leader and the other a natural follower you'll be unlucky to have too many problems - it's when they're close together in the dominance stakes that the fireworks usually start. You will need to back up which ever one is the natural leader, even though it'll probably be the pushier of the two and the one you like the least :-)

having 2 entire males running together MAY cause all sorts of headaches for you......male entire dogs generally don't tolerate other male entire dogs often or very well even from the same litter....if you have no intention of breeding from them i would recommend neutering them...

as for when one will become the dominant one over the other, you should be seeing signs of that now.......they are about to have a hit of testerone (1st hormone boost usually happens around 8 mths of age)...it's not about taking extra special care it is about respecting the order of the pack (hopefully you and OH etc are the pack leaders) and not favouring the lower ranked dog over the other.

Edited by missmoo

If they are not pedigree show dogs then you really have no reason to not desex them.

I'm suprised you have not been able to see who the leader is. Is one bigger then the other? One sookier then the other? Who do you feed first?