Dog Sport Info For A Learner

I'm interested in learning about dog sport and the different things out there and where can I go to check it out or does anybody conduct schools/training days and that sorta thing??????

I'm based in the NSW Snowy Mtns and I was wondering where would be closeish to me?? and anything else I might need to know :)

:rofl:

I don't know what is in that area sorry.

What sort of thing are you interested in? There is a lot of choice. Obedience, agility, flyball, canine freestyle

You could also add herding to the list as the OP has a Koolie. There is some ionformation on DogsNSW site and if you google NSWSDWA you can get information 3 sheep trialling. The Koolie club does run clinics once a month at Binalong.

Edited by Janba

How old is your dog? I would say that joining the closest obedience club is always a good start. Not only will it give you skills that will be needed in most other sports anyway, you will meet lots of other people who are already involved in other sports & can give your advice & recommendations.

My dog is 7 months old. I was thinking something like agility and I didn't know about herding, is that similar to yard dog trails?

I was also wondering if the dogs need to be registed?

Sorry if the questions sound silly but I really have NO idea about this sort of thing!

Thanks for the tips!

As far as I know for obedience & agility you need to belong to the appropriate club & have the dog registered with the local council. To trial you also need to join Dogs NSW.

For ANKC obedience and agility, the dog must be registered with the ANKC. Purebred dogs with papers are already registered but all other dogs may be registered as Associates (provided they are desexed) and some working herding dogs may be registered on the Sporting Register.

No one asks about council registration. Club membership is not essential. State CC membership for the handler is.

Edited by poodlefan