Group Dog Training North Shore Sydney

Hi,

I searched hi and low on the internet for some casual group dog training classes (i'm told there are ones with a member fee but then you just turn up for a class when you can for about $30) but all I can find are ones with $100 courses run weekly. Does anyone know of any on the north Shore? I'm in Naremburn near Crows Nest.

I have a 7 month old staffy who I need to train off lead in parks. At the moment he's almost perfect in the house but loses all focus outside.

Thanks!

TP:

I have a 7 month old staffy who I need to train off lead in parks.

Just wanted to let you know that no responsible training organisation will allow you to train your dog offlead until you've demonstrated a high degree of control on lead. That will take time.

TP:

Just wanted to let you know that no responsible training organisation will allow you to train your dog offlead until you've demonstrated a high degree of control on lead. That will take time.

Yeah good point, I guess I mean training around other dogs in a park more so, the off lead will come when he's good and ready as you say. I really need to work on HEEL, he pulls like a steam train. I've resorted to a halter that wraps under his front legs to break the habit.

Thanks for your help everyone.

TP:

Yeah good point, I guess I mean training around other dogs in a park more so, the off lead will come when he's good and ready as you say. I really need to work on HEEL, he pulls like a steam train. I've resorted to a halter that wraps under his front legs to break the habit.

Thanks for your help everyone.

You probably need to work more on getting him to walk on a loose lead, than just at your side.. that's bread and butter work for most good dog trainers. If you're using a device than wraps around his legs, you're using a harness, rather than a halter. Halters are fitted to a dog's head. :thumbsup: Personally I think harnesses are more effective and kinder for a dog.

You probably need to work more on getting him to walk on a loose lead, than just at your side.. that's bread and butter work for most good dog trainers. If you're using a device than wraps around his legs, you're using a harness, rather than a halter. Halters are fitted to a dog's head. :thumbsup: Personally I think harnesses are more effective and kinder for a dog.

I think the one for the nose is called a Halti, maybe that's just a brand... I used that but gave up after he wouldn't walk with it. He just sat there and wouldn't get up for anything, even chicken mince. Just pushed it off his nose every time.

I have the one that fits like a harness now, it's the bomb! It's the only thing that's helped so far. He even walks next to me with the slightest of lifts on the leash.

I tried all the techniques on loose leash shown to me by trainers and tutorials by "dog whisperers" for over 4 months every day but he just won't give an inch. The best I got was less of a pull but he still walked up front with a fair amount of tension, but no imporovement on that until I tried the harness, It's a dream, did I mention that! :thumbsup: He can't pull my back out anymore. Stong little sucker.

I tried all the techniques on loose leash shown to me by trainers and tutorials by "dog whisperers" for over 4 months every day but he just won't give an inch. The best I got was less of a pull but he still walked up front with a fair amount of tension, but no imporovement on that until I tried the harness, It's a dream, did I mention that! :thumbsup: He can't pull my back out anymore. Stong little sucker.

I've seen dogs haul their owners on a harness so you can't afford to get complacent about pressure on it. I've also seen dog that pull like trains walking quietly on loose leads in 15 minutes.. Hands on instruction is definitely what you need. :thumbsup: He needs to learn that he doesn't get to take a step forward unless the lead is loose. Clicker training can be awesome for teaching that.

I've seen dogs haul their owners on a harness so you can't afford to get complacent about pressure on it. I've also seen dog that pull like trains walking quietly on loose leads in 15 minutes.. Hands on instruction is definitely what you need. :thumbsup: He needs to learn that he doesn't get to take a step forward unless the lead is loose. Clicker training can be awesome for teaching that.

Thanks, I have a clicker so I should try that. Honestly I never let him pull consistantly. As soon as there was pressure for over a seconds I would stop dead and depending on the technique I was trying, walk the opposite direction and/or backward until he was next to me and I would say heel and stat off, he would then run immediately to the front with full pressure. We would repeat that over and over until I had covered 1KM over 1m of pavement. :thumbsup:

I also tried calling back with a treat each time and then holding it walking next to me saying heel and then gave to him. grabs the treat and runs off without giving me a chance to stop or give another for staying there.

I also tried taking 2inch steps and correcting him each time. I think we stopped and started over 1000 times and nothing changed at all. There seems to be two gears, 5th and park.

All of these were tried for over a month each and every day. He's so stubborn! Gotta love him though.

Thanks, I have a clicker so I should try that. Honestly I never let him pull consistantly. As soon as there was pressure for over a seconds I would stop dead and depending on the technique I was trying, walk the opposite direction and/or backward until he was next to me and I would say heel and stat off, he would then run immediately to the front with full pressure. We would repeat that over and over until I had covered 1KM over 1m of pavement. :thumbsup:

I also tried calling back with a treat each time and then holding it walking next to me saying heel and then gave to him. grabs the treat and runs off without giving me a chance to stop or give another for staying there.

I also tried taking 2inch steps and correcting him each time. I think we stopped and started over 1000 times and nothing changed at all. There seems to be two gears, 5th and park.

All of these were tried for over a month each and every day. He's so stubborn! Gotta love him though.

I'd wait for one one instruction before trying again.. you timing might be a bit out. If all you want is a loose lead, then there's no need to try to get him to walk close by your left hand side in the heel position. Also saying "heel" if he's got no idea what "heel" is has probably ruined that cue for you.

Best this be addressed in classes. Our club teaches "heel" by getting the dog into a static position (sitting close and straight by your left hand side) before attempting any forward movement. That seems to work well for many dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

I'd wait for one one instruction before trying again.. you timing might be a bit out. If all you want is a loose lead, then there's no need to try to get him to walk close by your left hand side in the heel position. Also saying "heel" if he's got no idea what "heel" is has probably ruined that cue for you.

Best this be addressed in classes. Our club teaches "heel" by getting the dog into a static position (sitting close and straight by your left hand side) before attempting any forward movement. That seems to work well for many dogs.

He seems to know what heel is, it's what he does after that which ruins it's definition. If I say heel, he will come back to my side for a second but then run off. It may be from me giving a treat for coming back previously.

Yeah I'll see how it goes at the trainers now before we continue with the HEEL word.

If anyone can tell me the name of the Lane cove school it would be great. Narrabeen and St Ives are a long way from me. I'm looking into the Mosman one but I'm busy each Tuesday. Thanks again poodlefan

If anyone can tell me the name of the Lane cove school it would be great. Narrabeen and St Ives are a long way from me. I'm looking into the Mosman one but I'm busy each Tuesday. Thanks again poodlefan

Okay I was wrong Kavik was right.

The Lane Cove classes are only for pups up to 18 weeks.

Group training at Dural Saturdays or at Mosman (Tuesday day only).

http://www.petresortsaustralia.com.au/PETR...mp;elementID=13

There also seems to be a a training class at Brookvale at PetO on a Saturday (they are a non-pet selling petstore) next to Warringah Mall), but I didn't think the set up was ideal as when I went to buy something there the class was going on in a corner of the busy carpark. However, that may have changed.

You may have to be prepared to travel a bit. :thumbsup:

Or alternatively you could pay for a one on one session with a trainer to start you off in the right direction and then move forward.

My Staffy x Ridge X Bull Mastiff use to pull something chronic.

We employed a professional trainer and at their suggestion they organised a "Pinch Collar" for her, as neither check chains nor halters nor harnesses nor leather/nylon collars wouldn't work.

Looks nasty, but honest to god, the pulling stopped and caused her less discomfort then a check chain. Perfect heel position which she would not break with that collar. Any other collar, it was a dis-located sholder by the end of the walk.

I'm not sure if they are designed for pure staffies, the trainers used them mostly for their mastiffs/rotties etc, so definitely talk to a professional first, you may be able to sort out the heel position without one, but keep it in mind.

Yep I have been to PetO and I understand what you mean, I kind of want an open area like a park which is where we always take him and he misbehaves. The association should help a little more I think.

Thanks for the link, maybe a couple of personal sessions at the park is best then, it seems even the group sessions are more than I thought. My puppy trainer said there were some that just cost $3 each time plus an annual membership of $100 but I can't see anything like that...

WOW, a Staffy x Ridge X Bull Mastiff . I bet it's got some serious muscle to pull you and the car if you ever break down.

The harness seems to work easily for now so hopefully it will break his habit over the next while, the trainer will I guess let me know if it's right.

I've been using the red light, green light method with my bc since I've had her at 3 m/o. She's now 17 m/o. She will try to pull occasionally but on the whole she's not too bad. Although I still have to remind her several times on a walk to not pull. I don't feel I need to use a halti or harness on her.

The main thing to remember that you must not let her get away with a tight lead, ever. As the old saying goes 'give em an inch & they'll take a mile'.

You said you don't turn around when the lead goes tight. You need to turn b4 she hits the end.

Thanks for the link, maybe a couple of personal sessions at the park is best then, it seems even the group sessions are more than I thought. My puppy trainer said there were some that just cost $3 each time plus an annual membership of $100 but I can't see anything like that...

Local obedience clubs will charge $3 per session + an annual fee, usually around $25. I guess your problem is that there is not one in your suburb. I think Northern Suburbs DTC at St.Ives showground would be the closest on a Saturday afternoon. Is it really too far? I'm at Nth Ryde & it takes me 20 mins to go to agility there on a Saturday.

The other thing to think about is that obedience clubs generally have lots of members & their lessons are geared towards competition obedience.

There is also Get Smart dogs who run classes at St Ives showground. They would cost a bit more but their classes are much smaller & they are teaching "life skills" rather than competition skills.

http://www.getsmartdogs.com.au/

Thanks, The problem with walking the other way is that I get dizzy after turning 50 times each minute before he would think about getting the idea. Seriously I went back and forth at the begining and all he did was change directins and run each way till he hit the end, I couldn't believe it. He's such a smart dog but sometimes I wonder, it must be something in the genes.

I think the Saturday would be fine, it takes 45mins from Naremburn because of the roads, I guess from Ryde the roads are faster with less lights and traffic. Unfortunately I just can't go on weeknights for now.

Just found this link which seems to fit well, 3:00pm looks good http://www.nsdogtraining.org.au/training.html

Edited by Thunderpants

Vickie:

The other thing to think about is that obedience clubs generally have lots of members & their lessons are geared towards competition obedience.

Perhaps that's the case in Sydney Vickie but it certainly isn't down here. The first few levels are strongly geared towards the skills that companion dogs need. Walking on a loose lead is one of the first exercises taught.

Vickie:

Perhaps that's the case in Sydney Vickie but it certainly isn't down here. The first few levels are strongly geared towards the skills that companion dogs need. Walking on a loose lead is one of the first exercises taught.

Yeah that course I linked too had all the details of what is taught and it really focuses on young dogs learning to loose leash walk and stay while other dogs are around etc.

PS. I noticed you love whippets and saw this earlier. Couldn't help paste it. http://blogmuscle.wordpress.com/2007/07/13...internet-abuzz/