Can I Mince A Chicken Frame

HI ... promise this is my last question / post re chicken and chicken frames.

I am completely and utterly paranoid about my lab pup choking on raw chicken, be it necks or wings. Trying to track down some turkey necks to alleviate my fear but yesterday bought a chicken frame from woolies. I can't easily cut it and tried to bash it with my meat tenderiser but to no avail.

would it be okay to stick in the (1000w) food processor ?

just give half a frame. You risk breaking the blades if you do this.

keep an eye on your pup he'll be fine. Whats with the spate of terrified owners lately?

Many poultry shops sell bags of chicken pet mince that are basically just all their leftovers minced up. If mrs tornsocks trusts the proprieter, I'd do that rather than mincing frames at home - the butchers have all the right equipment.

Honestly tho', I've been feeding whole frames for years and never had a problem.

If you're going to put a carcass in the blender, you may as well just feed chicken mince!!

The point of raw bones is to chew them. Just make pieces smaller or chop chicken necks into 2.

He's a dog... feed him like a dog. No blenders in the wild.

just give half a frame. You risk breaking the blades if you do this.

keep an eye on your pup he'll be fine. Whats with the spate of terrified owners lately?

I dunno. Personally I am a little paranoid all round because we lost our previous pup back in March at the same age as our current boy .. to an accident when he was being minded by of all people, his breeder. Long story ... but I am terrified of losing this fella as well. I know it's over-reacting and I need to 'build a bridge and get over it' ... but that's part of my paranoia. I also have no idea of what to do if he should choke.

I have done a frame in a blender - I pulled it into five or six pieces but it came out very "spiky" and I chucked it away. I only did this to see if it would work - dogs were used to getting whole frames. This was a heavy duty blender, not a $20 job from Target ;)

If you aren't comfortable feeding your dog chicken frames then for goodness sake don't do it, why put yourself through so much stress!

If I was giving something like this to my dog for the first time I'd give it to the dog whole and watch what happens, but that's my way of dealing with lots of things :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

If a dog is choking you lift them, tip them foreward (for the bigger ones I left the hind legs to point their face at the floor) and give the chest a few slaps to make them cough.

If its really stuck off to the vet but open the mouth, pull the tongue out to open the throat and have a look first. Dogs dont just keel over and die in a second from eating raw bones if they start huck huck noises give them something bigger.

Your dogs teeth are bleeding because they are puppy teeth. It will happen to all pups and is nothing to worry about at all, in fact he needs more bones to help his teeth come out properly. I saw all too many puppies with retained baby teeth at desexing time and it was my job to pull them out. None of these owners gave their dogs raw meaty bones.

No blenders in the wild.

;) :laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl:

Thanks redarachnid - serious LOLs to myself at this line - and a bit of a slap around the face to myself as well...

You need to relax and enjoy your new pup. He is NOT your old pup.

Do not smother or baby him or you will be a nightmare owner with an annoying dog....

and end up with a "pain in the arse sticker" on your file at the vet and the groomer etc.

Breathe. Be logical. Treat him like a dog, not a baby. You will both benefit immensely from it. :rofl:

Dogs dont just keel over and die in a second from eating raw bones if they start huck huck noises give them something bigger.

Yes that's quite true Nekhbet - it takes a dog about 3 minutes choke to death on a bone - but it seems like three hours when you are struggling to save their life. I couldn't.

Edited by Sandra777

If you're going to put a carcass in the blender, you may as well just feed chicken mince!!

The point of raw bones is to chew them.

The bones are also needed for calcium, as if you feed just muscle the calcium/phosphorous balance is wrong. If you just feed mince you also need bone meal or another supplement, so if the bone is included in the mince it is better.

Giving the bones whole is still better for the teeth. The best blender to use is the dog!! If you are going to mince I wouldn't recommend a blender, either buy it minced, or buy a mincer. If you are not sure what goes into the ready-minced pet mince (which often has preservatives etc) most butchers will be happy to mince your selected bits for you.