Calcification Of The Joints On The Spinal Cord

Hi,

has anyonbe elses dog had this my 11 year old has just been diagnosed with this after an xray. No treatment available its in his neck. hes having some physio and massage to help the muscle around the sore bit relax its working well but none of any of my friends dogs have had this wondering if its rare. Vet reckons its common

Is this calcification of the intervertebral disc, or a bony bridge between two vertebrae (called spondylosis). Neither in uncommon, but the difficulty sometimes with spinal problems is knowing where the physical things we see on xrays are the cause of the clinical. An MRI or myelogram is needed to actually see what is happening with the spinal cord.

I am at the moment dealing with a similar thing with my old Stafford. He has bridging of the verterbrae and narrowing of the spinal cord canal due to arthritic calcifications.

My Dobe had Spinal Spondylosis, and her grandmother had cervical instability in her neck, so to me yeh it's common!

Not sure if it is exactly the same thing, but my old dog back in Canada 15-18 years ago was diagnosed with a self-fusing spine after x-rays for a gastro problem. She did definitely have back problems and didn't have much strength to her back legs as it progressed. There was nothing that could be done for it. When she went down any stairs she just used her front legs and held her back end up and used it as a sort of rudder (it didn't drag at all, but was up in the air!). She did have great chest and front leg strength though and managed quite well.

Edited by vegemite_toast

I have a 5 year old with spondylosis (confirmed by x-ray) it is all down her back and tail (luckily she is docked!). She has no flexibility in a sideways direction or flexion of the spine. She's still a dog of 2 speeds, full stop and full tilt.

Not sure if this is related, she now is loosing the flexibility in her front 'ankles'

I have a 5 year old with spondylosis (confirmed by x-ray) it is all down her back and tail (luckily she is docked!). She has no flexibility in a sideways direction or flexion of the spine. She's still a dog of 2 speeds, full stop and full tilt.

Not sure if this is related, she now is loosing the flexibility in her front 'ankles'

This is exactly what he is like and it is down his spine as well but really bad in his neck his tail is swollen as well but that is ok it can still wag :D i meant to say its calcification of the spine and like someone else said causes a bridge so when he is having a hard day its cause the spiny bit is catching on something. I really need to ring the vet and have a chat. its one of those things that at the time you think you get it and then a day or so later it sinks in and i can hardly remember a word she said. Does anyone believe its hereditry he was used a stud once by a breeder about 5 years ago so i wonder if i should tell her.