Dew Claw Removal

I have a 2 yr old bc x that has torn his front dew claws three times in a few months, each time resulting in a vet visit to pull off the claw. The vet has suggested removing them since it has happened so often. Given the toes have to be removed, does this affect the dog in terms of holding things or running? He'll soon be doing one of the dog sports, flyball or agility perhaps, so he's an active boy and I guess it's likely he'll tear the claws again - but I'm a bit worried about him having the toes removed if he uses them.

Hi, my boy had his removed about 2 years ago.

The only time i have seen him have a problem was when he was first eating bones after the operation, and also scratching his face :)

He is a lazy dog, and doesnt do much at all, someone else may have more info for you for an active dog :)

AT took 2 weeks to get over his operation, he is a shit of a dog when in pain, so was sedated as often as i could. The vets really stuffed him around before the operation and he now has a fear about vets and his feet :)

BUT. Best thing i ever did, i will be requesting all future dogs to have theirs removed.