Wrong Diagnosis Now Vet Says Only Weeks To Live

Benson is already blind in one eye and partly blind in the other, has been for years but his eye looks bad and sore poor darling. He isnt crying just sleeping and miserable and he stopped eating yesterday and isnt wagging his tail. My husband is in denial and said I wasnt to get him put down in case he gets better, he isnt getting better. This morning my husband looked at him and said I think you should call the vet today and he kissed him goodbye.

:)

Thinking of you and your family.

edit: agreed completely with Erny's post below - I can just never find the words to express it as well as she has.

Edited by Longclaw

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts of strength to you at this time. What a shock too - you've hardly had time to accept the true diagnosis. By the sounds Benson has had a wonderful life and home with you and now you take the bravest and most selfless step for his sake. He'll know that and he'll not leave you, as he will be forever in your hearts. What you give him now is peace and freedom. That is a great gift. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Benson is now free from pain and suffering and knows only happiness and love. :(

Sending you strength at this awful time. Allow yourselves the opportunity to grieve and express your emotions and take comfort in the knowledge that we've all been there and will be again. :) It's part of the price we pay for having such amazing dogs sharing our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

post-30253-1248689549_thumb.jpgThanks to everyone for your very kind words, I really appreciate them, sorry I didn’t reply earlier but it’s been a tough week just getting through it.

Darling Benson went down hill fast on the Thursday and I could tell he had given up. It was very sad to see him like that.

I felt terrible having to put him to sleep even tho I know it was the right thing to do it still didn’t feel right. I am used to our pets dying without having to do that and I hope I never have to go through that again.

This week has just been terrible without Benson, I am used to being with him nearly 24/7. He sits under my desk during the day while I work and comes in the car when we go out and on weekends when we boat he would be right up on the bow with his life vest on lol. My teenage daughter said she missed that when we bought groceries home he would trip us up at the door and then once all the bags were on the floor he would climb on them and starting rolling and barking, we still don’t know if it was the groceries or us he was so happy to see lol.

I had trouble finding a vet to come out and ended up calling his regular vet who came. The vet started to examine him and I said to leave him I don’t want that being the last thing to happen to him. The Vet apologised that they didn’t pick up on it earlier and explained how it presented the same as the MMM. I really didn’t care to listen at that stage as I still think his leg should have been x-rayed weeks before when he was limping badly

One thing I have learned is that I will go with my gut in future and be more insistent when I do not agree with a Vet. Also I didn’t like going between two different vets during the treatment period.

Run free across the :confused: Benson, where you can see without hindrance, and hear the sounds of welcome from those others of ours who patiently await our arrival all in good time. Feel the soft breeze in your coat as you gallivant with canine friends, perhaps renewing acquaintance with some who you have not seen for a good while. I am sure that my avatar girl will be there to extend a friendly paw, accompanying you along your new journey.

To the Lawrence Family - I'm very sorry for your loss but in your heart Benson will never leave you.