Obedience Club/private Or Public

One of my puppy buyers lives at Camp Hill.

They asked me did I know of a decent obedience club/institution around that area.

He mentioned the one at Mt Gravatt Showgrounds. All I could say was NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know there's Southside Dog club at Banoon there. I used to train there a few years back when I lived on that side of town.

They also asked for good boarding kennels around their area. They mentioned Coltrandi .. and again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Suggestions?

They mentioned Coltrandi .. and again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I'm curious to know why you are of this opinion. They seemed alright to me. But I didn't go to them in the end. Pm me if you like.

I recently joined an Obedience Club at Oxley, which while it isn't next door to Camp Hill, it's closer than me (I think).

I travel from below Browns Plains to Oxley (approx 30kms one way).

They are lovely. www.obediencedogclubbrisbane.org.au

There aren't any ccc affilated clubs near camp hill, closest would be oxley or southside I'd say. I don't know about private clubs around the area. I would suggest Southside over Oxley as my own personal prefference and opinion if they do decide they'd like to go to one of those clubs.

Boarding kennels... I used Bowhill Kennels last time I boarded a dog (they're out in Durack) and was happy with them.

Offtopic, Callee is there a reason that you go all the way to oxley when Southside at Runcorn is probably closer?

Edited by Seita

Thanks Seita for the heads up on Boarding Kennels. Not my side of town these days.

I found Southside dog club good when I lived over there. Around that side of town there is not a lot of CCCQ clubs. There is Richlands at Birkdale, Southside and Oxley. I know Bonnies used to have classes one night a week at Durack (Thursday I think). I am not sure if they still do or not.

I know there are a few private more positive clubs opening up around the place.

They could also try Urban dog training at Carina. (They can just google it.)

The trainers are pretty good/have a good understanding of dogs and their course structures seem to be well thought out. They are a little more expensive than a club though and not really competition focussed.

Agree whole heartedly with your comments about Coltrandi (my dogs were initially 'trained' there as boarders) and the guys at Mt Gravatt (obedience, not agility). I had a long chat to him one day (obedience guy - from Cherokeee out at Goodna) and they are VERY harsh in their approach - quite similar to Coltrandi.

RSPCA also have quite a good beginners program at Fairfiled - if you don't want to advance to competition.

I've also trained at Southside. While I didn't find it was for me (I didn't think their methods suited my dogs) most of the trainers are pretty good and most people would get a lot of benefit from it.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Offtopic, Callee is there a reason that you go all the way to oxley when Southside at Runcorn is probably closer?

Simply because after all the time I spent on the net with search engines looking for one - Oxley was the only club that came up that seemed local. I only found out Southside existed about a week ago - after I had already paid for our membership at Oxley! They may need to work on their internet advertising.

Edited by callee

They could also try Urban dog training at Carina. (They can just google it.)

The trainers are pretty good/have a good understanding of dogs and their course structures seem to be well thought out. They are a little more expensive than a club though and not really competition focussed.

Agree whole heartedly with your comments about Coltrandi (my dogs were initially 'trained' there as boarders) and the guys at Mt Gravatt (obedience, not agility). I had a long chat to him one day (obedience guy - from Cherokeee out at Goodna) and they are VERY harsh in their approach - quite similar to Coltrandi.

RSPCA also have quite a good beginners program at Fairfiled - if you don't want to advance to competition.

I've also trained at Southside. While I didn't find it was for me (I didn't think their methods suited my dogs) most of the trainers are pretty good and most people would get a lot of benefit from it.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Back when I used Cherokee (back in 91/92).. They had kennels based around Wynnum-Manly area. That was where my dobermann had his protection training and I went afterwards to be "trained" how to handle a dog with that training.. All their "training" was another 6 week BASIC obedience course.

Thanks for the tips on Urban. I am pretty sure the puppy buyers only want to do basic training at least to start with. So I will file that name for future reference. With this litter, I think I will have softer temperament pups, so I certainly do not want them going to harsher training schools.

I used Bonnies for many years and they are not one of the cheapest around either and still not. But I did find they were better than most of your public clubs at the time.

i'm a current client of Urban Dog Training... i have found them fantastic! Within 2 minutes of talking to Paul, i knew it was the right place for us. They have small classes of 6, weeknight and weekend classes, and fully supervised free playgroup (sorted by age and size) on Sundays.

We just finished our Beginners Puppy School, and are just about to start advanced Puppy. They promote clicker training, and also have beginner agility classes as well.

One of the girls at my work just got a new puppy and took hers to one of the vet training clinics, and after 6 weeks she wasn't happy, so she took her Daschie to Urban, and she's much happier with the more personal experience.

Just thought i'd add my experience with them. :thumbsup:

Edited by kitty

Simply because after all the time I spent on the net with search engines looking for one - Oxley was the only club that came up that seemed local. I only found out Southside existed about a week ago - after I had already paid for our membership at Oxley! They may need to work on their internet advertising.

LOL, I am working on it! I used to train at Oxley but their times no longer suit so have switched to Southside and yes I agree there is not much info out there about them!