Hillsborough Obedience

Hey guys,

just a question for those who go to or have gone to Hillsborough (newcastle) dog obedience on Sundays. I emailed the contact person who sent me a flyer. They have two beginners courses. One called beginners with multiple trainers and bigger class sizes and one called motivational smaller class and consistent trainer (I am leaning towards this one). Anyone done either and have any feedback? My boy is just over 4 months old and was hoping to start him in 2 weeks. And do they have to go every sunday? We are just about to start showing him next weekend and there are shows around on sundays but I can choose not to show him on sundays if their lessons have to be consecutive weeks.

Thanks

Bec

I go to Hillsborough but I didn't do beginners there. I did most of the beginning stuff myself and then went on to a private trainer and have just started at Hillsborough about two months ago. I did do the CGC pet course on a Thursday night though. Two of the motivational instructors I know are Delta trainers and lovely ladies. When I joined up a couple of months ago I had to start in beginners class (multiple trainers). I think there were about 50 enrolments that day so the class was huge. They did split it into two but it was still a large class. We were moved up into another class the next week after speaking to a senior instructor. Classes are around 1/2 hour with a 10 minute break between. Personally I would lean to the motivational classes for the smaller class size and consistent instructors, they get to know your dog. All the instructors at Hillsborough are nice people and very knowledgeable too but it is a big club with lots of dogs.

My dog is very social and in the early stages of training, even the motivational training around all the other dogs was too much for her and she went over the top in her reactions (leash tugging, rolling, jumping, tugging on my clothes) and I decided I would train at home and then have some private lessons until she learnt some self control! We're getting there although she still does the leash tugging when over stimulated.

I don't go every Sunday, other things happen in life. I think most people realise this. But I do think it is important to make the committment to go as often as you can so you can learn as much as possible so you can teach your dog at home. When you get to a certain level there are also Wednesday night classes.

I go to Hillsborough but I didn't do beginners there. I did most of the beginning stuff myself and then went on to a private trainer and have just started at Hillsborough about two months ago. I did do the CGC pet course on a Thursday night though. Two of the motivational instructors I know are Delta trainers and lovely ladies. When I joined up a couple of months ago I had to start in beginners class (multiple trainers). I think there were about 50 enrolments that day so the class was huge. They did split it into two but it was still a large class. We were moved up into another class the next week after speaking to a senior instructor. Classes are around 1/2 hour with a 10 minute break between. Personally I would lean to the motivational classes for the smaller class size and consistent instructors, they get to know your dog. All the instructors at Hillsborough are nice people and very knowledgeable too but it is a big club with lots of dogs.

My dog is very social and in the early stages of training, even the motivational training around all the other dogs was too much for her and she went over the top in her reactions (leash tugging, rolling, jumping, tugging on my clothes) and I decided I would train at home and then have some private lessons until she learnt some self control! We're getting there although she still does the leash tugging when over stimulated.

I don't go every Sunday, other things happen in life. I think most people realise this. But I do think it is important to make the committment to go as often as you can so you can learn as much as possible so you can teach your dog at home. When you get to a certain level there are also Wednesday night classes.

thankyou for your response :) At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot is the CGC canine good citizen? and where can I find out more information on that one too?

Another question. Its out behind the showrings isnt it?

Bec

Hey guys,

just a question for those who go to or have gone to Hillsborough (newcastle) dog obedience on Sundays. I emailed the contact person who sent me a flyer. They have two beginners courses. One called beginners with multiple trainers and bigger class sizes and one called motivational smaller class and consistent trainer (I am leaning towards this one). Anyone done either and have any feedback? My boy is just over 4 months old and was hoping to start him in 2 weeks. And do they have to go every sunday? We are just about to start showing him next weekend and there are shows around on sundays but I can choose not to show him on sundays if their lessons have to be consecutive weeks.

Thanks

Bec

Hey Bec ..... Jigsaw pretty much covered it all in her post above - I did the beginners class with multiple trainers when we enrolled Mort in February .... it was fine - our class was never much bigger than 20 people and they split the larger group into 3 groups (so 3 x 20 approx) - looking at the yellow class this month there is only 2 classes of about 10-15 in them) .....

Enrollment is the 1st Sunday of the month as you already know - I'd get there around 9.30am as it gets really busy on enrollment week ... you can take it as slow as you want - you will progress automatically for the first 3 months but then any progression is based on assessment so if you're not ready to do it you can stay at that level for another month...

It can be really busy, there are at least 6 grades of classes plus the motivational class running at the same time (plus multiple yellow and often lower green classes too) ... it takes up the whole of the upper obedience area behind the showgrounds and its amazing to see all the different dogs ....

We have found the trainers great, obviously there are those that you click with more than others and I remember thinking at the time when we were in the beginners group that we never seemed to have the same trainer twice but now we're in the higher grade it seems to be more consistent and the trainers get to really know your dogs./....

There are a few DOLers that go to Hillsborough so look us up .... we've got the large energetic GSP and we're in red on the other side of the field you'll be starting on ..... he's the only GSP there at the moment so we're pretty easy to spot - come over and say hi ... I'd love to meet your puppy!

CGC is Canine Good Citizen!! I'll pm you the contact details.

Hey Fiona C - I know who you are now!!! We're in the same class! I have the lovely Miss Paxy who has decided that your Mort is a very good buddy to play with methinks!

Hey Fiona C - I know who you are now!!! We're in the same class! I have the lovely Miss Paxy who has decided that your Mort is a very good buddy to play with methinks!

:o:(:):rofl: oh my goodness - hullooo!!!!! ... please give the divine Miss Paxy a big cuddle from us and hopefully we'll see you Wed night (or Sunday) .... :hug: I can't believe we're in the same class :rofl:

Ok Bec - you've no excuse now, you'll have to come and say hi now! we'll be the ones in class trying to stop our dogs from playing with each other instead of doing what they are being told to do :rofl:

:o:(:):rofl: oh my goodness - hullooo!!!!! ... please give the divine Miss Paxy a big cuddle from us and hopefully we'll see you Wed night (or Sunday) .... :hug: I can't believe we're in the same class :rofl:

Ok Bec - you've no excuse now, you'll have to come and say hi now! we'll be the ones in class trying to stop our dogs from playing with each other instead of doing what they are being told to do :rofl:

okay but I'll be the one trying to coax your boy home with me ;) he's a stunner one of the few I always remember from siggies :eek:

I have been trying to find out more about CGC but the plan is to join up a week sunday :) Sounds like it will be nuts. Whats the parking like out the back? I have only been to the confromation shows?

Bec

Yes my real name is Fiona but we won't be there the weekend you will be joining up - but we'll be there the week after ....

Parking is usually fine - plenty of room for everyone ... just rock up to the club house and go to the middle window (the one at the end is the food/shop) and you'll find the enrollment forms there .. just remember your vaccination certificate and all will be fine - it will be busy but its fun ... there are so many dogs, such a range of shapes and sizes and in general most get along just fine - its amazing but in general most are really well behaved - its noisy but as I said, I find it a lot of fun....

My boy looks a lot different to the siggie these days - he just turned 1yr old and is now about 67cm at the shoulder and 32kg in weight .... and depending on how well he is doing in class that day you might not need to coax him home - we may just hand him over :o (only joking of course :hug: )