Safe Dog Chews?

My two normally get dehydrated treats that are labelled as preservative-free. They have been getting sheep and venison ears and dehydrated beef tendons. The venison ears are a huge hit and don't splinter. As for the tendons, my puppy is fine with them, she takes her time, but Osca breaks pieces off and swallows them. This made him sick yesterday so Ive chucked them all out.

They also get a lamb shank once a week. They get sick if they get raw meat bones more often.

Can someone tell me are venison ears ok nutritionally as an ocasional treat? And does anyone have any more suggestions? Training treats go too quickly and I dont want them to get overweight.

Thanks everyone :hug:

We get the cows feet from an ebay shop called Dog Food 2 U. They are fantastic and last my dogs for AGES, we throw 2 out in the backyard and they finish them over the next 10-14 days and it feels like every time I look out there they are chewing - they are really cheap as well!!!

I give mine both vension and sheeps ears. The venison ears are great because they really have to work the end so they give the back teeth a good workout. They are also the lowest fat chews I have found and Australian sourced. The only issue I have is the size - I cut the tips off (or ask for smaller ears) because if you think of the size of the ear when its not dehydrated its huge and my dogs' stomachs are not that big.

We get the cows feet from an ebay shop called Dog Food 2 U. They are fantastic and last my dogs for AGES, we throw 2 out in the backyard and they finish them over the next 10-14 days and it feels like every time I look out there they are chewing - they are really cheap as well!!!

PuddleDuck do you have a link? I searched that seller and nothing came up.

I ordered 50 Sheeps Ears, 1KG Beef Tendons & 1KG Salmon & Beef treats - Bailey is going to be one happy girl.

Do the Beef Tendons really take ages for them to eat as that is what I want, Bailey east a whole pigs ear in about 8 min. I want something she will chew on for an hour+

I ordered 50 Sheeps Ears, 1KG Beef Tendons & 1KG Salmon & Beef treats - Bailey is going to be one happy girl.

Do the Beef Tendons really take ages for them to eat as that is what I want, Bailey east a whole pigs ear in about 8 min. I want something she will chew on for an hour+

They do take ages but I think it depends on your dog. My puppy could take weeks to finish one. But my older boy is really protective of his and he will just break off 3cm long pieces and swallow them whole just to eat it quickly. This is where we got into trouble this week. If your dog eats it slowly then they can last ages! weeks and weeks.

Thanks so much for the tips everyone. I am going to have a look at those websites puddleduck and leo01. My venison and sheeps ears have all come from petbarn but the venison ears are $20 or $30 for 10 so I hope they will be a bit cheaper online. :happydance:

I find the sheeps ears go pretty quick though, 10-20 minutes tops.

They do take ages but I think it depends on your dog. My puppy could take weeks to finish one. But my older boy is really protective of his and he will just break off 3cm long pieces and swallow them whole just to eat it quickly. This is where we got into trouble this week. If your dog eats it slowly then they can last ages! weeks and weeks.

Thanks so much for the tips everyone. I am going to have a look at those websites puddleduck and leo01. My venison and sheeps ears have all come from petbarn but the venison ears are $20 or $30 for 10 so I hope they will be a bit cheaper online. :happydance:

I find the sheeps ears go pretty quick though, 10-20 minutes tops.

Sheep ears are cheap on there about $16 for 50 ears

Hey All,

Beef tendons are as hard as bone in my opinion, when our Toller, Kodiak, was younger I was breaking them up a bit for her and the only way I could was to smash them between a couple of rocks, cavewoman style!!! When she was a puppy I could put a 2 inch long piece in her crate at bedtime and she'd still be working on it the next morning!!! My older Shepherd Kelpie X, Doofus, chows them down pretty quickly and now Kodiak is grown up she does too. Interestingly Doofus always vomits with bones, it never fails no matter what sort of bone or if it is raw or smoked, but he has no ill effect from the tendons which is great!!!

They are really cheap-much cheaper than the stores and they have awesome customer service. Tracey who runs it is incredibly helpful - she put me onto the wonder that is the cow hooves! We live in a unit and its really important we have something to keep the dogs quiet and occupied when we're at work, particularly for the first few hours because we leave really early. Also the Kangaroo and Salmon bites are exactly the right size to plug the end of a kong (its either a Med or Large size kong, I can't remember!).

The other thing I love (can you tell that this site played a factor in puppyhood!!) is the lamb puffs, they are incredibly light and not stinky. They dont take long to eat but they seem really healthy and the dogs love them!!! Good for stuffing kongs :D

Hope all the spoilt puppies enjoy their new treats - I just got some more hooves and the dogs are currently formulating a plan to break into the box in a non incriminating way (they'll frame the cat, I know it! :D )

Mine ( ok they are a tad odd) eat wait for it .............................................

Carrots as a chew toy!!

Try it you never know,

J

My two normally get dehydrated treats that are labelled as preservative-free. They have been getting sheep and venison ears and dehydrated beef tendons. The venison ears are a huge hit and don't splinter. As for the tendons, my puppy is fine with them, she takes her time, but Osca breaks pieces off and swallows them. This made him sick yesterday so Ive chucked them all out.

They also get a lamb shank once a week. They get sick if they get raw meat bones more often.

Can someone tell me are venison ears ok nutritionally as an ocasional treat? And does anyone have any more suggestions? Training treats go too quickly and I dont want them to get overweight.

Thanks everyone :provoke:

Takes Leo about 5-10 minutes with a beef tendon. Pretty much same amount of time as a pigs ear. :bolt: Havent tried the cow hoofs yet but going to give them a go next, see if they last any longer.

Should have placed my order for the month before i posted the link! :thumbsup::crossfingers:

I like the Aus pet treat company too (http://www.australianpettreatcompany.com.au/c/181208/1/pet-treats.html) for extra large whizzers but they havent had any in stock for quite some time unfortunately

Great info everyone!

We tried the cow hooves but they do last forever and I wasnt sure how long I could leave it lying around the house. Any ideas anyone?

The pup will go for single pieces of carrot but the older dog just gives me this look like he's saying "lady, do i look like a rabbit to you? where's the real food?" :laugh:

The sheeps ears are good but much smaller and so go quicker and I worry about small pieces and choking.

I am going to buy the venison ears online now :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone :)

My guys get the Venison ears, just the right size for a Great Dane. I don't think you'll find any 'ear' product nutritional? Mine get them every day, no issues here.

We get them from here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/50-DRIED-VENISON-EA...%3A1%7C294%3A50

They say the following but not sure how it is healthy perse': Our DRIED VENISON EARS are LOW FAT and FREE RANGE, feeding on the beautiful fields of New Zealand, so you can be confident you really are feeding your dog a HEALTHY TREAT

These Dried Venison ears are all natural with no preservatives, no nasty chemicals and dehydrated over a number of hours.

I thought the sheep ears were great but just too small for Great Danes.

In regards to Cow/Horse Hooves I heard that they're not that great because dogs can crack their teeth on them?

Edited by sas