Starting To Compete In Obedience

Well, last week, we managed to pass graduate level obedience (I think CCD?) - yay for my clever Shandy! :thumbsup: Our instructor said that our score would have been a respectable score for a trial, and thinks we should give it a try- Plus our club won't let us move to novice triallers class without a pass at a trial.

So now we need to find an obedience trial to compete at. I have all our rego numbers sorted (ACTCA and Shandy's rego is in my name) and I'm trying to find out how to enter a trial that's coming up at the end of next month (they don't have forms listed on the ACTCA website, so I have to get a hold of someone at the club). Can someone give me an idea of what will actually happen on the day, as such? Do I need to bring anything? Will a trial just be like the test? Any words of advice or wisdom?

Try get hold of a rule book from your club and read it over and over again, there are lots of little things that you just don't learn in class like when you are allowed to use a dog's name and when you can say heel etc. If possible try to get along to a trial before you enter one and watch what happens. You should be able to buy a book of entry forms from you canine council and then keep photocopies of them so you don't have to keep buying them!

Check your canine council's monthly magazine (depending on the state) and look for trials you might want to enter and make note of the closing date.

What happens on the day.

First off you collect your number and catalogue and get vetted (check that your dog is not on heat and that it seems healthy and moves freely). This usually takes place in the hour before the trial starts.

Then check out where your ring is, after vetting has finished check for absentees (will usually be listed on the score board outside the ring) and take note if these affect where you come in the judging. Make sure you give your dog plenty of time to go to the toilet before entering the ring and warm your dog up if it needs it. Every dog is different and you might have to do a bit of trial and error in the next few trials to see how much warm up your dog needs before going into the ring.

Make sure you are at your ring before the dog before you is finished and that the stewards know that you are there.

When you enter the ring mention to the judge that this is your first trial and they will usually talk you through what's going to happen.

Most of all try not to be too nervous, be confident in your dog and have fun!

OH and if possible get someone at your club to give you a mock run out at training so you can practice what is going to happen just to get a feel for it.

ETA: Bring a chair, a pen (to write down scores), a mat/crate for your dog, a water bowl and leash and collar. If you reward your dog with treats or toys don't forget to bring those but remember to leave them at your chair as you can't take them into the ring.

Edited by Seita

CLeoJ there are two obedience trials on at the ACT Companion Dog Club next Saturday. If you can get out and have a look it would be a great way for you to see first hand what goes on :)

Well, last week, we managed to pass graduate level obedience (I think CCD?) - yay for my clever Shandy! :) Our instructor said that our score would have been a respectable score for a trial, and thinks we should give it a try- Plus our club won't let us move to novice triallers class without a pass at a trial.

So now we need to find an obedience trial to compete at. I have all our rego numbers sorted (ACTCA and Shandy's rego is in my name) and I'm trying to find out how to enter a trial that's coming up at the end of next month (they don't have forms listed on the ACTCA website, so I have to get a hold of someone at the club). Can someone give me an idea of what will actually happen on the day, as such? Do I need to bring anything? Will a trial just be like the test? Any words of advice or wisdom?

Which ACT training club are you a member of Cleo? I may know someone I can put you in touch with to assist.

Details of trials can be found on the ACTCA website and you will need to obtain an entry form and submit it before the closing date.

CLeoJ there are two obedience trials on at the ACT Companion Dog Club next Saturday. If you can get out and have a look it would be a great way for you to see first hand what goes on :)

if u can volunteer to steward ya learn heaps.

if u can volunteer to steward ya learn heaps.

I would second that. I was steward at two trials before I entered my first trial and I learnt so much, not just from the stewarding itself but also from the judges. They knew it my first stewarding attempt and that I was planning on trialling and they were fantastic, giving clear instructions, explaining why etc .

Thanks Everyone! FHRP, I'll try and get along to the trial this weekend, I'm sure that will help. I've stewarded for an agility trial, but not an obedience trial. I might offer on the day, if they find themselves short.

I train at Tuggeranong at the moment. I have the ACTCA journal, and have checked the website, and the next trial coming up is the 29th August, but I can't find entry details anywhere. If I can't make that one, the next date is 10 October, which is a long time to wait, if you're keen to start! :confused:

I've never trialled a dog but I stewarded in CCD on the weekend. The other steward & I were amazed at the lack of fine tuning that most of the competitors had. Years ago when our club was traditionally trained we were drilled on loose leads, sharp turns, consistant hand signals & positioning. Some of the competitors even gave little lead corrections in the ring which to my knowledge is or was a big no, no.

So apart from all the above advice I would say to practice using a loose lead & no lead pops. Sharp turns & if you get to the stays remember to leave with the other competitors & stay in line. This didn't happen in my ring on the weekend. Have things changed so much?

I checked again, and found the application details for the August trial, so I'll contact them tomorrow.

Luvsdogs, I'll keep those things in mind when we do start trialling. Shandy is pretty good on turns (having a short legged dog probably helps here) but I know her biggest downfall is me as a handler, and I'm working on that!

Some of the competitors even gave little lead corrections in the ring which to my knowledge is or was a big no, no.

I've seen this happen too and one in particular did it to the extreme as well as giving double signals, and they not only qualified but came first! :confused: What kind of message is that sending out to those watching from the sidelines looking to start competing themselves? They'll go in there thinking they can do that and get a rude shock when they enter under a judge who won't let that fly...

Cleo, here's a tip you might already know but thought it might be useful just in case (as I was caught out myself in my first trial!) You can't handle the dog by the collar in between exercises. ie. to get them into position. I sat my girl up straighter around her neck while getting ready for the sit stays and got pinged for it! I should have known but it's just one of those things I didn't... I had concentrated more on what was allowed during the ringwork, not the stays :D And as luvsdogs has already said, leave your dog when you're told to and go with the group. Oh and if you're not ready when the judge asks if you are, say so! :rofl: