Caring For Older Dog

It has suddenly occurred to me that I really don’t have a clue regarding caring for an older dog! I am off in my lunch break to research but thought actual experienced Dolers advice would be excellent.

My OH and I got Jessie from a shelter in February and she has just turned 12. I desperately wanted to help a golden oldie because so many get passed up on because of their age. I thought with my heart instead of my head - which I am now scratching because I feel rather clueless

She is a spritely thing, will play with my 3 year old bassett and LOVES her walks. Someone who met her recently mentioned she possibly had glaucoma and a problem with her hips. She does struggle slightly when getting up and can be a bit wobbly on her legs.

Basically, my questions are:

1.Should I have a special bed for her? She loves sleeping on the couch but should she have an alternative in case it gets uncomfortable getting up and down – or should I be stopping her completely because it will make her worse?

2.I feed her light and mature food but should I be aware of anything extra which is particularly good for seniors? Should she have supplements? Anything I should strictly avoid?

3.My OH and I work during the day and both dogs have beds outside under a large sheltered patio – they are inside the rest of the time and at night. Most mornings after feeding her, Jessie will plonk herself on the sofa and not move. Its not overly cold here in Brisbane – is she just being stubborn?!! Or am I being mean having her outside during the day whilst we are out? After we have put them out and just as we are heading out the door, she is there, by the sliding door gazing at me longingly - I feel so guilty!

4.As I said, she loves her walks, my OH came back the other day and both dogs were panting – he’d had a little run with them - I was petrified she might have a heart attack! Is running bad for an older dog? Should we be limiting her to a leisurely stroll? How much and how often – or just leave her to her own devices and she’ll let us know if she doesn’t want to go any further or faster?

I am going to take her for a general health check at our vets, especially for the possible problems with glaucoma and her hips. Should she be having these check ups more often than annually? Is there anything I can do to ease any aches and pains she may have in her legs?

Any other tips or things I have not asked – please feel free to add. All advice greatly appreciated!

It has suddenly occurred to me that I really don’t have a clue regarding caring for an older dog! I am off in my lunch break to research but thought actual experienced Dolers advice would be excellent.

My OH and I got Jessie from a shelter in February and she has just turned 12. I desperately wanted to help a golden oldie because so many get passed up on because of their age. I thought with my heart instead of my head - which I am now scratching because I feel rather clueless

She is a spritely thing, will play with my 3 year old bassett and LOVES her walks. Someone who met her recently mentioned she possibly had glaucoma and a problem with her hips. She does struggle slightly when getting up and can be a bit wobbly on her legs.

Basically, my questions are:

1.Should I have a special bed for her? She loves sleeping on the couch but should she have an alternative in case it gets uncomfortable getting up and down – or should I be stopping her completely because it will make her worse?

2.I feed her light and mature food but should I be aware of anything extra which is particularly good for seniors? Should she have supplements? Anything I should strictly avoid?

3.My OH and I work during the day and both dogs have beds outside under a large sheltered patio – they are inside the rest of the time and at night. Most mornings after feeding her, Jessie will plonk herself on the sofa and not move. Its not overly cold here in Brisbane – is she just being stubborn?!! Or am I being mean having her outside during the day whilst we are out? After we have put them out and just as we are heading out the door, she is there, by the sliding door gazing at me longingly - I feel so guilty!

4.As I said, she loves her walks, my OH came back the other day and both dogs were panting – he’d had a little run with them - I was petrified she might have a heart attack! Is running bad for an older dog? Should we be limiting her to a leisurely stroll? How much and how often – or just leave her to her own devices and she’ll let us know if she doesn’t want to go any further or faster?

I am going to take her for a general health check at our vets, especially for the possible problems with glaucoma and her hips. Should she be having these check ups more often than annually? Is there anything I can do to ease any aches and pains she may have in her legs?

Any other tips or things I have not asked – please feel free to add. All advice greatly appreciated!

Hi Kirsty, I think its lovely that you have taken on a "golden oldie" :confused: I have my own golden oldie, Cody who is also 12, but a very old 12 :rofl:

Although it is too much for my boy to go for walks anymore (and you will know when - if he is sprightly and enjoying them a leisurely walk is wonderful), my old boy can still manage to climb on the couch and spends most of his spare time there. When outside he is on a raised bed off the ground. Basically he gets away with murder as long as he is happy. I'm guessing your old boy is trying it on, who wouldn't want to stay inside on the couch if they can!

I feed him pretty much the same as the others and everyone feeds differently, but he has Eagle Pack holistic with either a chicken carcus or sardines.

I also add 1tspn of glucosamine powder morning and night together with a fish oil tablet - I believe it helps with his joints

Wishing you all the best with your old boy, I think it sounds like you are doing a great job :D

I think it's lovely that adopted an older dog. :laugh:

What breed is she?

If she is fine with getting up on the couch, then let her, or you can also get a ramp which is for older dogs to get up and down off couches, beds etc.

She could have her own bed in the lounge, something well padded for an older dog, and not too high...that's up to you to decide though, as you know her the best.

If she is doing well on her food, leave her on it. There are specific foods for seniors, as long as she isn't given things that are too hard to chew, she should be fine. I would add glucosamine for the joints, and maybe some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water (good for both dogs).

Having her outside is fine, if you think she would be cold, then pop a coat on her. As long as her bed outside is raised off the ground, and she can get out of any cold winds, she will be fine.

My dogs are young, but both will sleep all day on the couch if I let them. :laugh:

I would give her regular leisurely walks, no running as such. Short daily walks are good for both dogs, you can let her set the pace...some dogs are very spritely at that age and will run no problems, others are quite wobbly, best that you decide based on her condition etc. :(

Definitely be guided by the vet, he may pick up on any underlying medical condition she has, and you can adjust things accordingly.

Now, more importantly, we need piccies of the lovely Jessie. :eek:

To be honest, I'd stay curled up on the couch every morning if I had the choice :laugh:

Good on you for giving a loving home to an older dog :laugh:

For me, I'd probably cave and get Jessie a raised bed for outside - something that she doesn't have to climp/jump up on to but merely walk onto. But is soft and gentle on those old bones. :( Or an old couch just for her. :eek:

For her joints you can pick up Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin powder to add to her dinner which should help getting around easier.

As long as there is no forced exercise, if she is happy for a little run I'd say it's OK. I'd prefer the jog to be on something soft like grass, but if the spirit takes her to gallop abit - let her.

That is great you took in an older dog, I just lost my darling dog and was looking at doing the same but I couldn’t do it even tho my heart wanted to my head won.

We have a 16 year old outside large dog and he has always been an outside dog and he suffers from arthritis. Snoop’s arthritis got so bad that he was having trouble getting up and was real wobbly in his feet when he walked and was crying with pain. We took him to the vet and he got a course of injections (cant remember then name of them) and after only the first shot he started to run.

He loves to go for a walk but I have to remind my husband he cant keep up with the other dogs and he brings him back earlier

Fred.pdfJessie.pdf

Thanks rijbiz, Cazablanca, Lowenhart and lawrencefamily. Jessie definitely pulled at my heart strings. She had an elderly owner whom she had always been with. The owner was taken ill and went into a nursing home. Jessie was given to some friends of the family as a new home. Within a week she had been dumped in the local shelter’s after hours cage. She was then rehomed, and within two weeks dumped again with the new owners stating they actually didn’t really have time for her! :rofl:

It has taken a lot of work to earn her trust but now she always greets us with a chirpy howl and a furiously wagging tail! She is the gentlest dog I’ve ever met and she is such a lady – she makes me smile when she lies down because she always crosses her legs just like a lady should! :)

rijbiz – Just like your boy, Jessie gets away with murder! I figure she has been through enough just to let her be spoilt in her twilight years.

lawrencefamily – so sorry to hear you just lost one of yours :) It is a thought that petrifies me and was the one thing against getting an older dog. Snoop sounds gorgeous!

Lowenhart – I’ve actually moved a big armchair into the lounge especially for her! And one for Fred the bassett! Its slightly overcrowded in our lounge now with those and our three seater sofa!

Cazablanca – Jessie is a Scotch Collie X – at least that’s what the shelter told us but I’m not really sure?

Pictures - as you insist……….. :) I attached but not overly technically minded so fingers crossed it works!

Jessie -chilling in her armchair!

Fred - looking too damn cute for his own good!

They are both beautiful dogs although not quite sure where they got scotch collie from lol.

No wonder the poor thing was feeling insecure, sounds like she's been pushed from pillar to post, thank god she's found herself a wonderful family :)

Enjoy her